Job Title: Mental Health Facilitator (10 Fresher Jobs)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Mental Health Supervisor
StrongMinds is an international social enterprise that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women in Africa, where access for mental health treatment is extremely limited. We presently operate in Uganda, a post-conflict and highly impoverished country where 1 out of every 4 adults suffers from depression. As the only organization with a model specifically designed to scale a solution for depression in Africa, we provide a simple, innovative and cost effective approach. Group interpersonal psychotherapy, facilitated by trained community workers, is a proven technique which helps these depressed women return to and maintain their full mental health. Ultimately, StrongMinds helps women who suffer from depression to turn around their lives, and those of their family.
Job Summary: The Mental Health Facilitator will mainly facilitate the implementation of SMU’s Group Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT-G) program in Uganda. The incumbent will identify, diagnose, and recruit individuals with depression to join the IPT-G program. The job holders will then treat individuals with depression within their own communities using proven medical screening programs adapted to local conditions and proven IPT-G sessions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• After training, the incumbents will provide IPT-G intervention for depression at weekly 90 minute sessions for up to 12 weeks.
• Canvas local Ugandan communities, meet with local leaders and partners to identify, diagnose, and recruit depressed Ugandans to participate in the IPT-G program.
• Follow–up and track patient attendance and participation and document patient and project progress to assess IPT-G efficacy. Prepare patient discharge plans and refer patients where necessary.
• Maintain a high degree of confidentiality in all matters relating to group participants consistent with organizational policies and laws.
• Regularly attend support team meetings with management as required and perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicants must possess a health or social work qualification. Applicants with B.A. in Psychology are preferred
• Prior exposure and experience in group facilitation for at least two years
• Prior experience in working with people with depression and their families
• Prior experience in running self-help groups
• Broad interest in social work and helping others
• Compressive and in-depth understanding of issues relating to mental health, specifically depression is desirable
• Broad knowledge and understanding of self-help approaches and empowerment in mental health
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of general project evaluation approaches
• Excellent group facilitation skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently under minimal or no supervision
• Ability to develop, inform and sustain professional relationships, partnerships and networks
• Ability to work in collaboration with people with depression, families, and other staff/services involved in their support
• Good public speaking skills and the ability to lead and participate in workshops, seminars and other learning or promotion events
• Empathy with the aims of StrongMinds goal of treating depression
• Natural team player
• Willingness to take direction
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send an application letter, one pager of why you think you are the best candidate for the post and updated C.V to; [email protected] or Hand deliver / post to Plot 252 Kabaka Anjagala Road, FXB Uganda Offices/ P.O. Box 12233. Remember to add Mental Health Facilitator job application in the subject line.
NB: No academic documents at this stage
Deadline: 16th October, 2015