Organization: Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC)
Duty Station: Eastern or Western Uganda, Uganda
The Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC) is a non-profit research organization. IDRC conducts research in infectious diseases including Malaria, HIV and Tuberculosis. Our studies have led to over 150 publications and have impacted on the management of infectious diseases in Uganda. IDRC currently manages over 41 grants with an annual budget of $11 million. IDRC was established in May 2008 by Ugandan health scientists from Makerere University College of health sciences, University of California, San Francisco and the Uganda Ministry of health.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sensitize heads of households about the PBO net study, and seek consent for participation in the entomology survey.
- Collect information on household characteristics at enrolment.
- Collect indoor resting mosquitoes using prokopack aspirators from households.
- Assist with the sorting, counting and packing of mosquitoes catches.
- Assist with organization and filing of study forms, in collaboration with the study coordinators.
- Carry out daily updates of entomology logs and notice boards/progress charts.
- Ensure adequate supplies are available for the entomology surveys, and prepare for daily routines in collaboration with the coordinators.
- Ensure accurate labelling, packaging and timely transport of all field Laboratory specimens
- Ensure accurate and proper completion of all study logs, questionnaires and case record forms.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and research findings as appropriate.
- Attend regular team meetings.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants must hold Diplomas in medical entomology. A degree in related course is an added advantage.
- Training in Good Laboratory Practice and Good Clinical Practice is an added advantage
- Previous experience with entomology surveys & laboratory work
- Willingness to live and work upcountry in Eastern or Western Uganda
- Ability to speak at least one language commonly used in Eastern Region or Western Uganda
- Ability to ride a motor bicycle and must have a valid riding permit
- Ability to work in a team, good communication and interpersonal skills How to apply:
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send typed letters of application together with current CV, two reference letters from past employers and copies of academic certificates should be delivered to:
The Human Resource Manager,
Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC),
- O Box 7475, Kampala, 2C Nakasero Hill Road OR IDRC Tororo office at the Tororo District Hospital OR IDRC Mbarara Office opposite Lake View Hotel OR IDRC Mbale office on Plot 35 Masaba Road OR IDRC Busia Office at Masafu General Hospital
NB: Please clearly indicate in your application letter “Application for the post of Entomology Field Worker” and state your region of preference “Eastern Region or Western Region.”
Deadline: 19th December, 2016