The Kenya Urban Roads Authority (KURA) is a State Corporation under the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure established by the Kenya Roads Act, 2007 with the core mandate of management, development, rehabilitation and maintenance of all public roads in the cities and municipalities in Kenya except where those roads are national roads.
As the leading Government Agency with the above mandate, we wish to competitively fill the below positions from suitably qualified Kenyans as follows:
Senior Electrical Engineer
Ref: KURA/P & E/SEE/15/01
The successful candidate will report to the General Manager/Planning & Environment.
Job Summary: The job holder will be responsible for all electrical requirements related to road construction and maintenance
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare electrical designs for various projects as required by the Authority
- Analyze complex electrical engineering problems and offer effective resolutions
- Creation and management of the electrical scope of work for the Authority
- Sizing of overall electrical system
- Specification, selection and purchase of all electrical equipment to meet the Authority requirements
- Oversee development of detailed design drawings including one line diagrams, plans, details, wiring diagrams and fabrication drawings
- Develop and maintain labour and material estimates for projects.
- Preparation of bills of quantities for various electrical appliances and other related projects
- Design and implement strategies for continuous operational efficiency and Sustainability power infrastructural facilities
Qualifications & Skills
- Appointment to this position will be made from persons who:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized university
- Have Six (6) years relevant working experience.
- Have been registered by Engineers Board of Kenya as a Professional Engineer.
- Able to work effectively with a wide spectrum of people
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills and
- Are proficient in ICT use
Senior Engineer (Roads)
The successful candidates will report to the Respective Manager/Regional Manager.
Job Summary: The job holder will be responsible for entire roads project life cycle to include design, construction, maintenance and project completion
- Assist in undertaking works in the fields of quality assurance, Axle Load Control, Planning, design, construction, maintenance and structures.
- Prepare engineering analysis of urban road projects to include: feasibility studies, detailed design, life cycle, cost and equipment selection.
- Perform all functions related to new projects design/ development, focusing on emerging priority urban needs.
- Prepare and interpret blueprints, drawings, layouts and other visual aids.
- Prepare construction specifications.
- Perform engineering duties surrounding the following; roads, public works, sub- divisions, drainage, traffic, tunnel, bridge and environmental management systems.
- Preparation of Road Works documents.
- Management of project issues, budgets and programmes.
- Assist in the review and critique of proposed changes to urban road engineering standards, policies or details.
- Review project/ programme performance in terms of achieving physical and financial targets and attainment of projects/ programme target goals.
- Assist in the review of development plans for compliance with adopted road engineering standards and best engineering practices.
- Prepare detailed scopes of work for technical assistance and training needs for the department and explore various options for procurement of such services.
- Meet with the general public and/or developers, landowners, and interest groups concerning zoning, subdivision of projects, building projects, and engineering regulations, standards, or policies.
- Assist in coordinating the activities of the design and construction teams.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Degree in Civil Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Registered Engineer with Engineers Board of Kenya.
- Be a member of Institution of Engineers of Kenya (IEK).
- Six (6) years’ experience, in road design, construction and/or maintenance.
- Demonstrable knowledge in planning, design, construction and maintenance of roads.
- Demonstrable knowledge of public procurement systems and processes as used by the Government of Kenya, multilateral and bilateral development partners.
- Ability to manage staff and provide good leadership.
- Working ICT knowledge for road management system.
- Experience in the Ministry of Local Government, Local Authorities and/or Ministry of Roads will be an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal relations and good communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build cohesive teams and achieve set targets through team work.
The successful candidate will report to the Engineer.
Job Summary: Assist in construction and maintenance of road works, project contract documentation and management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing Engineering Analysis of urban roads projects to include: preliminary design, life cycle cost and equipment selection;
- Conducting surveys to gather field data;
- Preparing and interpreting blueprints, drawings, layouts and other visual aids;
- Preparing construction specifications;
- Performing engineering duties surrounding the following; roads, public works, sub-divisions, drainage, traffic, tunnel, bridge and environmental management systems;
- Preparing of road work documents;
- Managing project issues, budgets and schedules;
- Assisting in the review and critique of proposed changes to urban roads engineering standards, policies or details;
- Assisting in the review of development plans for compliance with adopted roads engineering standards and good engineering practices;
- Meeting with the general public and or developers, landowners and interest groups concerning zoning, subdivision projects, building projects and engineering regulations, standards or policies.
- Assisting in coordinating the activities of the design and construction teams; and
- Performance of any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Appointment to the position will be made from persons who:
- Have a Degree in civil engineering or its equivalent from a recognized University;
- Are registered as graduate engineers with Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK);
- At least a minimum of One (1) year post registration (graduate Engineer) experience
- Good communication skills as well as interpersonal skills; and
- Basic ICT knowledge.
Ref: KURA/P & E/SUPT.E/15/02
The successful candidate will report to the Senior Electrical Engineer.
Job Summary: The job holder will assist in ensuring all electrical requirements pertaining to Road Construction and maintenance have been met.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in utilization of funds allocated in the assigned region;
- Supervision of all electrical installations and maintenance works on roads infrastructure
- Preparation of work programs as pertaining to electrical installations on roads and
- Performance of any other lawful duty as may be assigned from time to time.
- Appointment to the position will be made from persons who:
- Have a Diploma in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Have an Electricians license issued by Energy Regulatory Commission class C2.
- Have satisfactorily worked as an electrician for at least Five (5) years.
- Demonstrated competence and ability in interpretation of electrical drawings and supervision of electrical installations and maintenance services;
- Have good communication skills as well as interpersonal skills; and
- Have proficiency in computer applications.
How to Apply
The successful candidates may be required to work either at the Headquarter Offices or any of the Regional Offices as the case may be. Interested candidates are expected to fulfill the requirements of chapter six (6) of Kenya Constitution. Specifically they must obtain and submit with their application copies of clearance certificate from the following organizations;
Kenya Revenue Authority
Higher Education Loans Board
Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission
Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct) Only candidates who meet the above criteria should submit applications in writing for the positions as well as filling the job application form (CLICK HERE to download) together with their updated CVs including details of their day time contacts, current and expected remuneration, notice period required to take up appointment where successful, names and contacts of three referees, while at the same time attaching copies of all certificates and testimonials to be hand delivered or mailed so as to reach the Director General at the address below not later than 8th September, 2015. All envelopes/applications should have the respective job reference numbers clearly marked. The Director General Kenya Urban Roads Authority (KURA) IKM Building, Bishops Road P.O. Box 41727-00100, GPO, Nairobi [email protected] Website: www.kura.go.ke Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Kenya Urban Roads Authority is an equal opportunity employer. KURA IS ISO 9001:2008 CERTIFIED