Spatial Data Analyst Job at ILRI
(closing date 29 July 2016)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Spatial Data Analyst to provide Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and spatial modelling support.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases
Data Analyst Job Key Responsibilities
The position will be part of the Livestock System and Environment team. The incumbent will be responsible for:
- the development of new livestock and livestock keeper distribution maps, namely by extracting, analyzing, managing, storing and documenting the required databases;
- the development of spatially explicit environmental modeling, with the preparation of the required geo-data
- contribute and participate in the set-up, the implementation and the facilitation of participatory GIS workshops;
- GIS and remote sensing support for selected projects;
- Set up and implement GIS and spatial analysis trainings for partner organization
- Enhancing ILRI’s internal capacity to use GIS
Requirements for Data Analyst Job
- Bachelors’ degree with at least five years’ experience/Masters with at least two years’ experience in Information systems, Computer Science, Data management, GIS and Remote Sensing or a related discipline
- Formal training in geo-statistics and spatial analysis
- 3 years of experience with managing and analysing big spatio-temporal datasets
- 3 years of experience in programing, preferably in R, preferably with the spatial toolboxes or Shiny
- Demonstrated expertise with commercial and open source GIS (geographical information system) software
- Knowledge of livestock systems, natural resource management and agricultural development issues in the tropics
- Experience with handling of big data and remote sensing products
- Experience with setting up trainings based on adult education principles
- Pro-active and detailed-oriented personality who can operate both individually and as part of a team
- Excellent English reading, writing and communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team
- Willingness to learn new techniques and approaches
- Willingness to travel and work in possibly in difficult field conditions as necessary
Terms of Appointment
- This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
- This position is job level 2D, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal here on or before 29 July 2016. The position title and reference number REF: SDA/LSE/7/2016 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.