Job Title: Field Officer (7 Job Vacancies)
Organisation: UGACOF Limited
Duty Station: Mukono, Masaka, Kayunga, Iganga, Kamuli, Buikwe, , Kalungu and Gomba, Uganda
UGACOF Limited is a leading coffee exporter in Uganda which works with smallholder coffee farmers countrywide. While Ugacof core business is buying, processing and exporting of coffee to international buyers and roasters, they work in partnership with local/national and international organizations to support smallholder coffee farmers with the aim of increasing the productivity and quality of coffee produced contributing to improved livelihoods of these smallholders.
Job Summary: The Field Officers will primarily streamline the upstream supply chain, increase the quality and quantity of sustainable coffee. The jobholder will strengthen the capacity of Producer Organizations and Farmer Groups in coffee farming business through good agronomic practices (GAP), community mobilization, quality improvement, value addition and marketing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guide the producer organization (PO) and the farmer groups through the Farmer Field School (FFS) formalization process, i.e. establishing the FFS, leadership structure, constitutions, bye-laws, registration with the community development office.
- As the key resident resource person, conduct the regular FFS sessions on a weekly basis following the season long schedule.
- Carry-out ground working activities in preparation for the formation and registration of new and existing farmer groups and/ or producer organizations.
- Carry out trainings in good agronomic practices (GAP), PHH and collective marketing techniques, Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) methodology, Coffee Certification, Farming as a Family Business (FAAFB) and/or entrepreneurship.
- Conducting field demonstrations for learning to include good quality coffee nurseries, coffee fields and tree nurseries.
- Training and mentoring gender change agents on joint planning and gender mainstreaming to ensure greater participation of women and the youth in the coffee chain.
- Work closely with the Field Supervisor in preparing the appropriate training content and any other necessary backstopping requirements and maintain a regular exchange of information with them.
- Guide the Farmer groups and/or producer organizations to put in place and regularly monitor and update the appropriate records and reporting formats where necessary.
- Organize the field days as an integral component of the FFS learning process
- Training PO leadership and depot committees on their roles and responsibilities to have strong PO that are legally recognized self sustaining and independent.
- Ensuring that farmer groups carryout their business in a transparent and accountable manner.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly activity reports on the progress, challenges and status of the project implementation to the Field Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as may emerge from the project implementation
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of potential farmers identified to participate in the project area responding to set criteria.
- Awareness of the farmer groups, the community and other stakeholders about the project, quality principles, practices and standards required.
- Accurate registration of formers and inspection of the project guidelines
- Coverage of training topics to farmer groups
- Accurate documentation and filing of data required for the project
- On-time and accurate submission of weekly and monthly reports
- Farmers actively participating in VSLA’s
- Gender Mainstreaming in Project Areas
- Work within agreed Project standards.
- Manage tasks and be responsible for reporting through project structures.
- Duties are carried out in a professional manner to a high standard with due care and attention to detail.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Degree/Diploma in Agriculture, Forestry or a related field.
- Possession of a Post graduate qualification in a relevant discipline is an added advantage.
- At least two to three years’ experience in Agribusiness Company.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their E-mail applications to [email protected]
Deadline: 27th January 2017