The Kenya National Commission for UNESCO (KNATCOM) is a State Corporation established under the KNATCOM Act of 2013 which aims to advance UNESCO’s agenda in Kenya by contributing to peace and sustainable development through promotion of international standards and best practices in the five fields of UNESCO’s competence namely: Education; Natural Sciences; Social & Human Sciences; Culture; Communication & Information.
To enable it fulfill its mandate, the Commission wishes to recruit dynamic, result-oriented and self-driven persons to fill the following vacant position:
Job Title: Accountant
Grade: S 3 (Lower)
Reports To: Chief Accountant
Directs reports: None
Scope: Accounts Department
Classification: Technical Level
Location: Nairobi, Headquarters
Purpose of the Job: To implement policies, strategies and plans of the Accounts Department.
Gross Salary Ksh. 57,020 – 71,880 Pm
Leave Allowance – Ksh. 6,000
Medical Allowance – As per scheme rules
Group Life & Accident Cover
Terms P n P
Pension Contribution rate (basic salary)
Employee – 7.5%
Employer – 12.5%
Functions of the Accounts Department: This Department exists to perform the following functions: development and implementation of accounting policies, strategies and plans; managing accounts payable (money out); managing accounts receivable and revenue tracking (money in), handling payments; taxation and cash flow control, revenue collection and receipting; cash security; reconciliation of payments; inventory management; debtors collection; monitoring property accounting; cost analysis; preparation of accounting reports and security of accounts records.
Duties and Responsibilities: The officer will be responsible to the Chief Accountant for the implementation and execution of accounting policies, strategies and plans in a results oriented and timely manner to achieve the Corporations’ goals, objectives and agreed performance targets.
This will entail inter alia:
- Facilitate the achievement of the functions and objectives of the Accounts Department
- Implement the day to day business of the Accounts Section.
- Implement the policies, strategies and plans of the Accounts Department and maintain proper internal controls
- Pay authorized payments for personal and other merchant claims and receipt all money due and payable to the Commission
- Ensure security of cash and accounting records.
- Implement the accounting structures, processes and systems in the Commission
- Prepare accounting reports and submit to the relevant and authorized offices in good time and provide follow up activities as may be required.
- Prepare regular communication to the Chief Accountant on key accounting matters
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns and other tax requirements.
- Facilitate compliance with all accounting legal and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and implement accounting procedural or policy changes to improve operations and quality service delivery.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Secretary General/CEO.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields namely; Business of Commerce (Accounting or Finance option), Finance or Business Administration (Accounting Option) from a recognized and accredited institution
- Possess certificate in Certified Public Accountant (K), ACCA or CFA from a recognized and accredited institution
- Be registered with the institute of certified Public Accountants ICPAK and Registration of Accountants Board
- Possess a minimum of two (2) years of hands on experience in the accounting profession or be serving at a comparable level in a reputable institution
- Possess good industry knowledge of government accounting processes and procedures
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant government financial legislations and policies related to the accounting function
- Have demonstrated ability to develop accounting reports and financial statements
- Demonstrated competence in the use of modern accounting packages
General Knowledge and Skills
- Accounting software knowledge, analytical skills, good interpersonal and communication skills, ethics and PC skills
- Team player, flexible, has integrity and commitment to production results, organized, professional and self-motivated.
- Mental, Physical and Work environment characteristics
- Normal office set up, occasional meetings, occasional Field visits local/international, occasional mental strain and normal working hours.
How to Apply
1. CLICK HERE to Download the KNATCOM 1A application form
2. Complete the form and attach the relevant certificates
3. Drop or mail the documents to
The Secretary General/CEO Kenya National Commission for UNESCO P.O. Box 72107-00200 National Bank Building, 14th Floor Harambee Avenue Nairobi
Only short listed candidates will be contacted The deadline of application is 4th of September 2015 at 5.00pm