Accountant Job Vacancy in Kenya
MISSION AVIATION FELLOWSHIP
Mission Aviation Fellowship is a not-for-profit, Christian organisation whose mission is to reach isolated communities through aviation. In Kenya we fly small aircraft to assist Mission organisations, Churches and Relief agencies in providing humanitarian and spiritual sustenance to isolated people.
This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of a team that will have a life changing impact on those we serve. MAF is currently sourcing for a high calibre, self -motivated and dynamic individual to fill the position of Accountant at our office at Wilson Airport in Nairobi.
The primary purpose of the position is to assist the Finance & Resources Manager in their responsibilities by ensuring adherence to key financial controls, debt collection, reconciling key ledgers and producing draft management accounts ready for review.
Key Job Responsibilities:
To maintain the sales ledger by:
- Importing customer invoices to the sales ledger.
- Ensuring flight invoices reflect fuel surcharges and waiting charges.
- Reconciling invoiced hours to hours flown and to investigate reasons for differences between hours flown and hours billed.
- Liaising with the maintenance team to ensure accurate billing of stores sales and external maintenance work.
- Reconciling the sales day book to the accounting software (PSF).
- Sending invoices and statements to customers.
- Banking customer payments and entering the payments into the sales ledger.
- Allocating customer payments to invoices.
To ensure timely receipt of monies from customers by:
- Regularly reviewing the sales ledger to identify unpaid invoices.
- Contacting customers whose accounts become overdue, liaising with them and agreeing settlement arrangements.
- Reporting debt collection problems to the Finance and Resources Manager.
- Visiting customers to discuss outstanding debts, where necessary.
- Reviewing customer deposits and reporting back to the Finance and Resources Manager, with recommendations.
- Preparing a monthly bad debt provision report for review with the Finance and Resources Manager.
To assist with purchase Ledger processing and control by:
- Reconciling Air Passenger Service changes (APSC) reports prepared by the Operations Department to the accounting records and adjusting as necessary.
- Inputting fuel delivery receipts into the fuel processing system on a regular basis.
- Arranging payment of Air Passenger Service changes.
- Checking the Africair statement prepared by the maintenance team, inputting details into PSF and arranging payment of amounts due.
To assist with cash and bank control by:
- Preparing monthly bank reconciliations of all Bank Accounts.
- Reconciling M-Pesa statements.
- Preparing monthly reconciliation of credit card statements.
- Providing cashiering services in the absence of the cashier and inputting payments into the on-line banking software ready for authorisation in the absence of the accounts senior.
To ensure that the Programme complies with its taxation responsibilities by:
- Preparing and submitting monthly VAT returns.
- Ensuring VAT is accurately recorded in PSF including the VAT control account.
To assist with monthly management and financial reporting by:
- Reconciling monthly movement in stock levels in the electronic stores ledger (WASP) to PSF, ensuring all stock movement correctly accounted for and investigating any irregularities.
- Produce a monthly journal for accrued income after reconciling invoicing for third party maintenance work to cost of sales.
- Grossing up debtors and creditors.
- Raising journals for inter programme aircraft usage.
- Preparing and processing inter-company transactions.
- Undertaking the monthly currency revaluation.
- Producing the month end file by the 10th working day of the month, including Lead Schedules and key reconciliations.
- Checking the accuracy of the Trial Balance by reconciling to Lead Schedules prior to review by Finance & Resources Manager.
- Producing the first draft of the management accounts ready by the 12th working day of the month for review by the Finance & Resources Manager.
To maintain the filing and archiving system relative to own area of responsibility by:
- Filing all documents into the filing system on a regular basis;
- Assisting staff and auditors in retrieving documentation from the filing system and archives as requested.
To handle other financial matters by:
- Assisting with the tasks of other members of the department when they are not present;
- Deputising for the financial aspects of the Finance & Resources Manager role.
To participate in the spiritual life of MAF.
Other reasonable responsibilities as may be required by your line manager.
- Completion of Secondary School certificate with aggregate of at least B plain (Essential)
- Satisfactory completion of Bachelor’s degree. (Essential)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA-K) registered with ICPAK, or ACCA finalist. (Essential)
- Experienced in producing monthly VAT returns. (Essential)
- A minimum of (5) five years’ relevant work experience in accounting professional practice. (Essential)
- Working knowledge of PSF accounting software.
- Experience of working in aviation sector.
- Experience of multi-currency accounting.
- Experienced user of on-line banking software.
- Good English language skills. (Essential)
- Good interpersonal & organization skills. (Essential)
- Analytical with a keen eye for detail. (Essential)
- There is an occupational requirement for the post holder to be a born again and committed Christian.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the essential requirements above should send a motivation letter and a copy of your updated C.V, to [email protected] on or before 29th September 2017 at 4:00pm. You will need to be able to demonstrate that you meet all of these requirements so please do not apply for this role unless you are able to demonstrate compliance.
NB: Only Shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.