Accountant Job at National Democratic Institute
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is a non profit, non partisan organization working to support and strengthen democratic institutions worldwide through citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
NDI is seeking to hire a qualified and competent Accountant for its Kenya office based in Nairobi on a one year renewable contract.
The position entails the general implementation of NDI’s Financial Accounting Policies to ensure financial reports are produced in an accurate and timely manner in compliance with NDI policies, relevant Government and Donor Agency regulations.
Accountant Job Primary Responsibilities
- Assist to ensure timely recording and reconciliation of all financial transactions ensuring a high degree of accuracy, completeness and sufficiency of documentation for all transactions at all times.
- Coding and posting of transactions as require on NDI’s Quicken files.
- Assist to prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare and process payments, ensuring sufficient supporting documentation and reasonableness of such payments at all times.
- Assist to respond to General Accounting questions and issues are they arise.
- Assist in ensure the safe custody of all NDI’s Accounting documentation i.e. payment invoices and receipts, contracts, vouchers and NDI payment support documentation.
- For all statutory and tax related remittances ensure timely processing and payment.
- Assist in all Audits conducted for the NDI office.
- Assist in training staff and sub grant partners on application of NDI Financial accounting policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or their designate.
Qualifications for Accountant Job
- CPA or ACCA Qualification, a Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, business administration desirable
- Minimum of Five (5) years in financial management, accounting, and/or administration, preferably for an international NGO supported through donor funding.
- High level of attention to details in all aspects of work responsibilities;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills combined with the ability to work collaboratively with diverse group.
- Experience with word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel preferred);
- Ability to analyze and interpret governmental and organizational rules and regulations;
- Capacity to identify essential elements of complex accounting issues;
- Working knowledge of PC-based software; proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Suite;
- Working knowledge of Quicken or other accounting software and Excel;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae (CV) and application letter to [email protected] by the close of business on 26th July 2016. Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.