Job Title: Accountant
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager Financial Accounts
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to – carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets – Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Accountant will manage suppliers’ payment process to ensure the Company gets favourable credit terms and continuous supply of goods and services. The incumbent will also manage the company’s accounts payable ledgers and the proper accounting of expenditure in compliance with sound accounting principles and company policies
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring prompt payment of staff expense claims;
- In charge of building and maintaining good relationship with suppliers by advising them on their status of payment and resolving all the disputes
- Maintaining appropriate contacts and communication with all suppliers;
- Monthly reconciliation of all creditors accounts to individual supplier statements;
- Follow up and resolution of supplier queries and complaints;
- Responsible for processing of all payments into the general ledger;
- Preparing weekly, monthly and quarterly cash flow projections indicating how much will be paid out to assist in cash planning purposes for decision making on optimal utilization of funds in investment and borrowing.
- Ensuring compliance with Various Tax Authorities requirements and law on all payments made for both local and international suppliers.
- Ensure all the statutory, regulatory, leases and loans are paid by their due dates to avoid defaulting and being charged interest and penalties
- Working with the Internal Audit team to ensure that sound internal controls are established and adhered to.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold an upper second honours Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Administration (Accounting Option) or Accounting and Finance.
- Professional accounting qualification such as ACCA or CPA is a must
- At least three (3) years’ experience at similar level;
- Previous experience in project management of electricity power generation and complex infrastructure projects is added advantage.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of International financial reporting standards – IFRS.
- Good experience in using computerised accounting software
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high level of integrity
- Computer literacy
- Age: Below 35 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Human Resource Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
Block C, Plot 6-9 Victoria Office park, Okot Close, Bukoto,
P.O. Box 75831, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 31st January, 2017