Organisation: Bioversity International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Office Manager
Bioversity International is a global research-for-development organization. We have a vision – that agricultural biodiversity nourishes people and sustains the planet. We deliver scientific evidence, management practices and policy options to use and safeguard agricultural biodiversity to attain sustainable global food and nutrition security. We work with partners in low-income countries in different regions where agricultural biodiversity can contribute to improved nutrition, resilience, productivity and climate change adaptation.
Job Summary: The Accounts and Administrative Assistant will provide day-to-day administrative support for accounting and general administrative services as part of the administration team for Bioversity’s Uganda Office (BUO) in Kampala.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide support to office procurement services including:
- In charge of drafting of advertisements, calls and invitations for bids to obtain quotations in accordance with organizational procurement procedures; organizing/facilitating the evaluation/interviews;
- Obtaining competitive quotations for services and supplies as per the organization procurement policy and passing information to the relevant parties for processing and subsequent clearances;
- Following up with requesting party that goods or services are delivered in good order and follow up on delivery where necessary;
- The jobholder will be providing required information to relevant parties to maintain an updated register of Bioversity assets, including their operational conditions;
- Maintaining the log of assets and relevant related documentation.
Provide administrative support for accounting and banking activities including:
- Preparing of payments, cheques and money transfer requests;
- Obtaining required clearances and filing of documents including invoices, Travel Requests and Requests for Supplies and Services (RSS);
- Preparing approved payments for processing, ensuring the accuracy of coding and supporting documentation conformity with financial rules and regulations;
- Assisting with the photocopy and filing of monthly financial report documents and other financial documents as necessary;
- Offering support in the reconciliation of financial reports from other offices and those submitted by partners.
Provide administrative support for vehicle management including:
- Maintaining weekly transport /travel roaster for all staff to ensure that the vehicle movements are well coordinated;
- Tracking all usage and fuel consumption of official vehicles using the vehicle log book and any personal usage recharged to the respective individuals;
- In charge of monitoring administrative aspects of vehicle maintenance such as insurance expiry.
Provide support for general administrative services including:
- In charge of maintaining effective records on all administrative functions and services;
- Maintaining an up to date database for all Bioversity stakeholders;
- Drafting routine correspondence and assisting in the preparation of periodic reports on functional areas related to the above;
- Providing back up support for other administrative assistants as requested;
- Perform any other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Accounts and Administrative Assistant job placement should have completed secondary school education supplemented by office training. Possession of a Bachelor’s degree is desired
- At least three years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in relevant software packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of standard office procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and teamwork skills; courtesy, tact and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of cultural and national backgrounds.
- Good personal organization, priority setting and problem solving skills.
- Strong client orientation and service approach.
- Good judgment and initiative; ability to work independently within assigned areas.
- Experience in an international working environment.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken. Working knowledge of other languages is desired
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications via post to: P.O. Box 24384, Kampala, Uganda or by hand at Plot 106, Katalima Road, Naguru, Kampala, Uganda. Please note that in the application you are required to provide the contact details (address, telephone number and e-mail address) of at least three referees.
Deadline: 19th February, 2017