Job Title: Accounts and Administrative Assistant
Organisation: Community Development Resource Network (CDRN)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: General Manager
Starting Salary: UGX 500,000 /= to 600,000/=
The Community Development Resource Network (CDRN) is a local, independent and non-profit non-governmental organization registered by National NGOs Board and the Registrar of Companies to operate in all parts of Uganda. It was founded in 1994 to support community development work through participatory techniques and to assist organizations involved in such work to be more effective in meeting their mandates. CDRN is strongly committed to making an effective contribution to righting social injustices in Uganda, which often arise from gender and other forms of inequality, poor governance, limited empowerment and the denial of rights.
Job Summary: The Accounts and Administrative Assistant will provide accounting and administrative services
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance to organization / donor regulations and that financial controls, policies and procedures are applied in all financial transactions.
- Offer support in the preparation, coordination, and monitoring of the project and consolidated budgets
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports for internal use by management team.
- Prepare and submit quarterly and annual financial reports to funding agencies (donors) as per the reporting guidelines of different donors.
- Prepare acknowledgement and appreciation letters for funds received from different donors.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are recorded accurately into the computerized PASTEL financial accounting software.
- Be responsible for petty cash and ensure replenishment as per the policies and procedures.
- Carry out monthly bank and cash reconciliations.
- Verify all staff financial requisitions, receipts/supporting documents, general ledgers, journals and reports for completeness and accuracy.
- Ensure staff advances are accounted for in time.
- Ensure timely availability of funds requisitioned by staff.
- Prepare draft annual accounts for external auditing.
- Preparation of the payroll.
- Maintain proper books of accounts and all other financial records for all activities and projects.
- Ensure sound accounting principles and controls are applied to financial transactions in the organization.
- Manage CDRN’s contracts with suppliers in accordance with the procurement policy.
- Ensure CDRN’s compliance with donors agreements
- Prepare and keep staff leave records.
- Ensure that staff files are updated with all required information and are kept in a safe place.
- Ensure CDRN complies with statutory employment obligations (i.e NSSF, PAYE, VAT etc).
- Ensure delivery of quality services to CDRN in respect to outsourced services.
- Register and keep custody of important documents of the organization such as the land title, constitution, registration certificates, building plan, approved policies, contracts, minutes, staff files, bank documents etc in a safe place.
- Provide support to procurement activities.
- Ensure proper functioning, maintenance of office building and equipments such as telephones, computers, printers, scanners, office furniture, cars, motorcycle etc in accordance with existing policies.
- Ensure that all office equipments purchased are engraved and insured (where it is applicable)
- Ensure safety and security of all staff and office premises and property.
- Prepare and keep up to date CDRN’s asset register and inventory on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure finance, administration and project documents are filed and properly shelved (both manual and computerized).
- Carry out any other organizational administration duties such as minute taking and registration at events as may be required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the CDRN Accounts and Administrative Assistant job opportunity should hold an Honors Bachelor’s Degree in either Commerce (Accounting option) or Business Administration (Accounting option) or Business Studies (Accounting option) or Finance and Accounting from a recognized Institution;
- Professional accounting qualification of ACCA Level 1 or CPA Level II is an added advantage
- A minimum of two years of financial and administration experience in an NGO setting in a similar position.
- Previous exposure and experience in various aspects of accounting principles and practices with a good understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Broad knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate
- Flexibility to work outside normal working hours with long hours
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills in English with good computer skills
- Able to work under minimum supervision, independently and in a team
- Good information and communications technology skills
- High degree of ethics and Integrity
- Good team work
- Excellent analytical skills
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets/excel, PowerPoint, and knowledge of accounting software (e.g.: Accounting packages such as pastel)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong numeracy skills
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism when dealing with staff
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, both internal and external
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should provide a cover letter expressing interest in the job, a detailed CV, including names, addresses, and phone contacts of three professional referees, copies of academic documents to:
The Executive Director,
Community Development Resource Network,
Plot 433 Balituma Road- Nakulabye from 8.00am – 5.00pm