Achukule Irrigation Project
Lokichar, Turkana County – Kenya
Vacancy Announcement: Project Accountant
Achukule irrigation Project (herein referred to as Achukule irrigation Project) has received funding from the United States African Development Foundation (USADF) towards its irrigation enterprise expansion.
USADF is an independent Agency of the US government that operates at local levels in Africa in support of economic development.
For the successful implementation of the grant, Achukule Irrigation project is seeking to hire an Project Accountant who will work with the Enterprise manager to implement the grant in achieving set objectives.
Position: Project Accountant
Location: Lokichar – Turkana County;
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds;
Reports to: Enterprise Manager
Reports to: Enterprise Manager
The Accountant to be based in Lokichar and working within the framework of a Achukule irrigation project, the incumbent will have to be responsible for the following as his/her primary duties:
- Being in charge of preparing and keeping cashbooks/journals and developing monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports. Receiving and filing project correspondence/documents (especially financial correspondence/documents) and circulating them – if so required – only to board and Donor/Partner staff as required.
- Assist in logistical and procurement activities as required
- Facilitating, supporting and assisting in all internal control mechanisms and audit-related activities.
- Facilitating, supporting and assisting in processing project-related payments.
- Ensuring proper documentation of enterprise-related activities.
- Ensuring proper filing of all project related documentation with necessary back ups
- Handling and management of petty cash
- Calculating and submitting local tax returns and other statutory payments in a timely manner
- Maintaining the payroll based on approved time sheets and other Project requirements
- Completing Bank reconciliations and documenting all financial transactions
- Identifying business development opportunities for Achukule and discussing their implementation as required
- Conducting market research activities and designing market analysis as required
- The Accountant will perform all duties related to his/her position and additional duties that may be assigned from time to time
The Person Shall Have:
- Demonstrate dedication and commitment to support Achukule realization of organizational goals
- Degree or diploma in Business Administration, commerce, Accounting, Economics or other finance-related diploma or at least holder CPA 2
- At least 2 years’ related work experience in management of commercial enterprise.
- Must have practiced accounting/finance and business development
- Good understanding of accounting principles and reporting skills
- Good written and oral command of English
- Good knowledge of IT skills especially MS Office Suite such as Excel, Word, and Database management; Email and Internet
- Ability to work under pressure and to follow strict deadlines
- Strong business development and portfolio growth skills and experience
- Demonstrate ability to work under very harsh conditions
- Strong commitment to business ethics and values
How to Apply
Applications should reach the office before May 29, 2016 at 5:00pm.
Hand delivered applications should be dropped at ACHUKULE offices in Lokichar.