Position: Community Mobilizer
Contract duration: 5 Months
Duty Station: Maralal
Starting Date: September 2015ACTED is a non-governmental organization whose vocation is to support vulnerable population world wide and to accompany them in building a better future.
ACTED was created in 1993, is governed by the French law and has its head quarters in Paris, France.ACTED Kenya is looking for an experienced, driven and committed development worker to fill the post of a Community Mobilizers in Maralal, Kenya.
This position will support the successful implementation of ACTED activities in Samburu County, in order to assist marginalized communities in this area.Reporting to the Project Officer, the Community Mobilizer’s key areas of responsibility will include:
- Carry out community mobilization and assist the team in capacity building activities with community members and elders.
- Liaise with communities, beneficiaries, and local authorities.
- Carry out beneficiary identification, selection, training, development activities and sensitization as needed or requested.
- Carry out daily implementations of field activities.
- Work with ACTED management and comply with rules and procedures.
- Assist with weekly and monthly planning and reporting to the Project Officer/Program Manager.
- Keep the Project Officer regularly updated on all issues related to the project activities.
- Supervise and ensure correct and accountable documentation of all activities, including checking attendance sheets, stock reports, meeting minutes, along with ensuring that all necessary amounts or signatures are collected.
- Listen too, receive and document community feedback and pass this on to Project Officer/Program Manager in a timely manner, and deliver and document responses to community feedback.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the direct supervisor
- A higher diploma in Social Work, Community Development or a related field/ discipline
- Good reputation within the larger community.
- Experience with grassroots initiatives in rural areas/ASAL
- Experience with participatory community development principles and practices preferred.
- Experience in CMDRR is an added advantage
- Capacity to live with minimal comfort on occasional basis (e.g. camping in communities)
- Ability to show initiative and function effectively in loosely structured, complex work environment that is constantly and rapidly changing
- Patient and optimistic approach to problem-solving, good communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the program organization; ability to identify the gap and address them
- Ability and willingness to work cross border with other communities in instable and potentially dangerous areas.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- English & Kiswahili fluency are minimum requirements. Fluency in local language is a must.
- Knowledge of more than one of the languages mentioned is an added advantage
- Basic computer knowledge is mandatory
How to Apply
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae, three work related referees, contacts and expected salary to ACTED Kenya Offices in Maralal or send to [email protected] and received on or before 5.00PM on 31st August 2015.ACTED reserves the right to hire prior to the application deadline. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer, qualified female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.