ActionAid is an international anti-poverty agency formed in 1972. We are a partnership between people in poor and rich countries working together to end poverty and injustice.
Today we are working with over 15 million of the world’s poorest and excluded people in over 45 countries worldwide to secure their rights to a life free of poverty and injustice, and with the support of half a million donors and supporters.
Directorate: Institutional Development
Position: I.T Intern
Duration: Minimum full time fixed term contract of 6 months
Allowance: A monthly stipend will apply.
Purpose of the Role: To provide I.T technical support to the International Secretariat in Nairobi to enable achievement of organizational objectives.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Respond to user requests for service, troubleshoot problems and help develop solutions.
- Support PC hardware components, desktop operating system software, and application software.
- Perform minor repairs to equipment and arrange for other servicing needs.
- Identify and report system issues to vendors. Monitor and test resolution of those issues sent to vendors.
- Monitor antivirus software and updates and repair computers infected with spyware, adware and/or viruses.
- Monitor backup systems and procedures to ensure data security.
- Record activities, solutions and other responses to request for service.
- Assist in maintaining inventory records and documentation for equipment.
- Consult with vendors, perform research and evaluate products to assist in the selection and purchase of equipment and installation or upgrade of systems.
- Assist users in determining appropriate software solutions to meet needs.
- Develop and provide user training for basic hardware and software use.
- Provide backup technical support for network including router, firewall, and wireless access point.
- Maintains open communication and positive working relationship with staff.
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned.
Desired Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree or diploma in a business, communications or computer related field or related field
- Proficiency in computer applications with a basic understanding of computer network cabling and network file and print services.
- Applicants must also have experience supporting recent versions of Microsoft Office Applications,
- Experience with networking technologies and printer support is preferred.
- Applicants must have awareness of the PC hardware components, desktop operating system software, and application software.
- Exceptional customer service skills, solid troubleshooting skills, ability to work well in a team environment, excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Interested applicants should possess excellent analytical skills and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems.
- Have the ability to research and understand technical documentation, and an understanding of how to apply various technical resources.
- Applicants should have the ability to perform tasks such as operating systems and application software installations and upgrades, as well as virus protection and eradication.
- Appreciation and ability to work in a multicultural context.
- Must be available and willing to commit at least six (6) months initially for an internship.
How to Apply