Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Communications Assistant
Reporting to: Communications & Advocacy Manager
Working with: Communications & Advocacy Department
Program / Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 9 Months
Starting Date: Immediate
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Position Summary: The position holder will work closely with Adeso’s Communications and Advocacy Manager and other department and program staff to support the organization’s communications needs across its three country programs.
The purpose of role of the communications assistant is to broadly support the work of the communications department and more specifically the day to day activities overseen by the communications and advocacy manager, and the deputy communications manager.
- Support increase Adeso’s online visibility, voice, and influence;
- Support document and communicate results from Adeso’s projects in Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan;
- Produce communication products in regards to design work using Photoshop
- Support in the provision of communication and visibility support to new and ongoing projects.
- Offer support to program team under the Social Stability Funded (SFF) Project Employment Intensive Project for youth in Lower Juba, Somalia.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Support website management where required.
- Manage success story schedule and tracker usage for upload of stories on website.
- Support in the development and implementation of the organizational social media strategy;
- Prepare multi-media artifacts to accompany social media posting and messaging.
- Publications and multi-media materials
- Prepare multi-media artifacts on request provided the tasks fall within the skill levels of the communications assistant.
• Manage Adeso Photo-library by carefully labelling all images and ensuring library is well stocked with images
• Provide assistance on design work when needed
- Produce and Prepare Weekly Media Round-Up reports.
- Prepare minutes of communications meetings (and other meetings upon request) and circulate minutes in a timely fashion.
- Collecting and documenting success stories and photos from the SSF funded project
- Support communication team in editing stories and publications when needed
- Attend events, including conferences and field trips where required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field;
- Two years’ work experience in communications;
- Experience working within a humanitarian or development context and working on international donor funded projects;
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar;
- Photography, graphic design and short video production skills preferred;
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity;
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote locations
- Somali speaker preferred.
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 25th August 2015.
Each application should be addressed to HR Director and include the following:
An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position is only open to Kenyan nationals.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.