Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Deputy M&E Manager
Reporting to: Deputy Country Director
Working with: Somalia Project teams and PDQU team in Nairobi
Program / Duty station: Galkacyo, with frequent travel to other duty stations
Duration: One (1) year
Starting date: Immediate
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian programs in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Position Summary: The Deputy M&E Manager will act as the technical focal point on all aspects of monitoring and evaluation of Adeso Somalia programs.
This includes developing and managing the Program Measurement system, building the capacity of Adeso staff and partners in M&E and supporting all Adeso M&E and research-related activities of field projects.
Position Purpose: Deputy M&E Manager will be line managed by the Deputy Country Director and technically report to M&E Manager; and will be responsible for project level activities in relation to monitoring of project activities, data management and analysis.
Working closely project teams, he/she will support project monitoring and evaluation by providing and managing Adeso Somalia Country databases and undertaking some project data management including analysis.
The role involves providing technical support on design of thematic survey forms, data processing tools, management of data entry and validation, management and tracking project data using quantitative and qualitative data analysis basics.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Act as the focal point for all M&E related activities within Somalia programs.
- Help standardize program measurement and M&E tools and systems and ensure that all projects have robust monitoring plans in place.
- Develop and actively manage donor log frames and performance monitoring plans, including working closely with external evaluators during donor assessments and evaluation;
- Work with HQ and regional offices and program staff to ensure adequate M&E systems and quality controls are in place that meet donor requirements and the needs of the program;
- Help project teams in Somalia with data management including data collection, collation, analysis and reporting, and entirely manage the indicator tracker tool for each project.
- Manage Adeso’s Somali project monitoring information system to ensure efficient and effective collection, entry, analysis and amalgamation of project data (both quantitative and qualitative) and proper reporting of the outcomes and impacts of all projects.
- Manage the other M&E staff, activities, and budget of the Monitoring and Evaluation unit of the Somalia;
- Build the capacity of Regional Monitoring and Evaluation assistants to analyze & disseminate regional data and conduct data quality audits;
- Build capacity of program staff to conceptualize, collect, use and disseminate MIS data;
- Provide technical assistance in producing quarterly reports of program outputs and accomplishments
- Assist with management of the Research as required
- Manage, develop, mentor and coach the Monitoring and Evaluation team in Somalia, ensuring excellent performance in the department
- Help refine Adeso’s methodologies for ensuring beneficiary accountability.
- Build capacity in M&E and accountability across Somalia country programs, including training dedicated M&E staff, Program Managers and implementing partner staff.
- Provide technical support to dedicated project staff in the field, through regular telephone/skype meetings, field visits and on-the-job mentoring/coaching.
- Support Program Managers and M&E staff with the planning and implementation of baseline surveys, needs assessments, mid-term and end of project reviews/evaluations including preparation of TORs.
- Coordinate with other agencies for learning and sharing of good practices in M&E.
- Help develop appropriate data management templates and formats for project activities and support project partners on data management systems.
- Lead the program documentation on the best practices, the lessons learnt and the innovation that informs future programing in Somalia. Work with the accountability officer on the beneficiaries accountability and feedback mechanism, and ensure the lessons learnt and learning aspect are well documented.
- Help in writing and reviewing the quarterly M&E reports.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, statistics, mathematics, business administration or computer science, with relevant experience in data analysis in emergency or development sector.
- Knowledge and experience in qualitative and quantitative data management techniques including proficient and skilful use of SPSS, STATA, EXCEL, Epi-info software’s.
- Experience on project monitoring and evaluation with special emphasis on data management including data collection, analysis and storage.
- Atleast 4 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluating Food security and livelihoods projects.
- Somalia M&E experience will be a plus.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a rapidly changing professional environment.
- Diplomacy and good interpersonal skills, with the ability to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Good knowledge of computer hardware and software, and readiness to learn about new software’s
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected] , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 5th October, 2015.
Each application should be addressed to Human Resource Manager and include the following:
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.