Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Head of Finance
Reporting to: Executive Director
Working with: Finance Manager, Chief Operations Officer, Head of Programs
Program / Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 2 years, Renewable
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth.
It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Position Summary: The Head of Finance (HOF) is the senior-most finance staff member of Adeso reporting to the Executive Director and responsible for planning, directing and controlling the overall financial functions by ensuring financial policies and procedures are in accordance with organizational and donor policies.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
• Implement continuous financial audit and control systems to monitor the performance of Adeso: flow of funds, adherence to the budget, expenditure, income and other budgetary items.
• Promote financial accountability and reporting through designing systems and policies which provide appropriate levels of security and control of Adeso assets, resources and operations.
• Ensure timely and quality financial reporting of the programs and departmental activities, which comply with donor and institutional requirements.
• Ensure adequate cost efficiency and effectiveness measures are in place, including benchmarks for determining effective resource utilization.
• Collaborate and coordinate the activities of financial service providers hired or contracted by Adeso including: auditors, financial consultants, money transfer agents and banks.
• Maintain a working relationship with donors, banks and financial institutions with the aim of securing the funds necessary to implement programs.
• Provide strategic direction and planning for the managed growth of Adeso, including funding for enhanced market-appropriate benefits packages for staff.
• Develop a system for the planning, budgeting, tracking and use of administration/overhead income and expenditure.
• Develop a plan for the establishment of a general fund for the organization and a secure investment portfolio (in compliance with donor regulations).
• Oversee the full implementation and optimization of an advanced ERP software for the organization including offices in Africa, USA and UK.
• Develop and implement a strategy to digitize all transactions and related activities of the Adeso finance department.
• Work with the Executive Director and the Board to put in place a strong compliance policies and enforcement measures.
• Work with the Finance Committee of the Board of the Directors and the ED to provide quarterly and annual financial reporting including around risk and compliance management.
• Establish internal risk assessment, mitigation and management processes including for the sub-contracting of partners and service providers.
• Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity based analysis to provide an insight into the organization’s finance operations and plans, including cash-flow requirements.
• Carry out capacity building for finance staff and senior management on financial matters.
• Ensure that quality finance staff members are recruited, motivated and retained.
• Working in close collaboration with the Finance Manager, to mentor and develop the finance team including managing work allocations, training, problem resolution and performance evaluation.
Skills and Qualifications
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Commerce or related field.
• Professional accounting qualification (CPA/ACCA/CIMA).
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience in NGO accounting.
• Demonstrable skills and experience in financial management, planning and analysis.
• Development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
• Strong strategic planning and leadership skills.
• Previous experience overseeing Finance Operations.
• Proficiency in generally accepted accounting principles, computerized accounting programs, and preparation of financial statements and reports.
• Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the vision and mission of Adeso.
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
• Substantial experience of managing USAID funds.
• 10+ year’s senior management experience in a non- profit and/or commercial setting.
• Experience of working in a HQ or large regional office setting.
• Experience of negotiating and calculating USAID NICRA rates.
• Knowledge of other donor funding e.g. DFID, EC.
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 23rd October 2015.
Each application should be addressed to the HR Director and should include the following:
• An updated CV (maximum 3 pages);
• An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three previous supervisors as referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.