Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position title: Program Support Assistant – Natural Resource Management (NRM)
1 position based in Bosaso, Bari region
Reporting to: NRM Project Officer
Working with: Program Directors , Deputy Program Directors, NRM Program and Operation staff
Program / Duty Station: Bosaso, with frequent travel to Bari region, and other NRM operated regions in Puntland
Duration: 1 year (Renewable)
Starting date: Immediate
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian programs in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Position Summary: Responsible for supporting program staff by providing high-level administrative support by conducting researches, preparing statistical reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions.
Position Purpose: Adeso is seeking a qualified and committed individual to join its team as Program Support Assistant.
He/she will work under the direction of the Program Director and will provide operational and administrative assistance to the Program staff.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Support NRM/Adeso’s program teams in Somalia in project implementation, planning and coordination for activities to be implemented;
- Be a communications vocal point for his/her region, collect and arrange and label photos and share with Reporting/Communication Officer, and other program staff;
- Follow up with teams to produce mission reports, other program reports, and provide data/feeds and pictures from the field for the NRM DPD, Senior M & E, Project Officers, Reporting Officer/Communications Officer;
- Collect data needed for the development of success stories- ideally 1 story every month, and share it with the program management, and other field teams in the field offices to develop stories;
- Liaise with and support key program staff to ensure that project are running effectively and making best use of project resources;
- Utilizes monthly communications and visibility calendars to develop content and disseminate targeted communication and visibility including environmental awareness campaigns and social media;
- Support the program teams that the use of any communication or visibility materials are in high quality and are used effectively;
- Assist the Project Officers in drafting mission, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and six monthly report s and activities updates- if the Project Officer wants to delegate;
- Compile, transcribe, and distribute minutes of meetings;
- Scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others;
- Translate the feedback from community trainers and other paper-work prior to review by Project Officer/Project Director/Deputy Program Director; as well if necessary support oral translations;
- Any other duties assigned by the line manager.
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in community development, natural resource management, soil and water conservation, renewable energy or a social science or associated field with a minimum of one to two years practical international experience is ideal;
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner and to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines;
- Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral proficiency in English, and verbal communication skills in one or more local languages; Somali language skills a plus;
- Proven ability to work well with multi-level stakeholders with strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience in developing program work-plans, developing program budgets, managing program implementation, and field and managing short-term technical assistance;
- Skills of spoken Somali is mandatory as communicating in Somali with the local communities etc;
- Demonstrable experience and skills in the use of software programs such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, database programs, the internet, electronic media etc;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity;
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote locations.
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected] , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 6th October, 2015.
Each application should be addressed to Human Resource Manager and include the following:
An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.