Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Technical Advisor – Cash and Social Protection
Reporting to: Director – Program Development Quality Unit
Working with: All field offices and HQ departments
Program / Duty Station: Nairobi (with field travel)
Duration: 1 Year (renewable)
Starting Date: Immediate
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Position Summary: Adeso Somalia’s Cash-based and Social Protection portfolio consists of projects, programs and research activities aimed at supporting effective interventions to improve tangible well-being outcomes for vulnerable groups across a range of outcomes including food and nutrition security, financial access to basic services, and reduction in negative coping strategies.
In this exciting position you will play a key role of guiding and supporting Adeso’s Emergency Cash Based and Social Protection programs.
Position Purpose: You will lead the design and support implementation of high quality cash based and/or social protection programs to directly improve poor people’s lives.
You will generate evidence and approaches to influence policies that reduce poverty on a larger scale.
You will have a proven track record of influencing social protection policies and of institutional fundraising success, either for research or programming.
You will be able to demonstrate sound advisory and influencing skills, as well as the ability to think and plan strategically, manage competing priorities and evaluate progress.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the design and development of cash based and social protection program proposals, including for: food access, increased use for economic security and social protection initiatives.
- Assist the Director in maintaining frequent and productive communication with current and future donor agencies and foundations, identifying and following-up on potential funding opportunities and lead the development of evidence-based, innovative concept notes and proposals.
- Contribute detailed and accurate written inputs to fulfill project technical and financial proposal and reporting requirements.
- Set quality performance targets ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor Guidelines.
Staff Resourcing and Training
- Assist the Human Resource Unit (HRU) in the recruitment process for any new Cash and Social Protection staff, including developing job descriptions and interview test questions, participating in the interview process, and providing orientation to the new staff.
- Facilitate and provide the organization of training to relevant Adeso personnel as needed/requested.
- Ensure documentation and sharing of knowledge and skills across the sectors as well as sharing of guidelines and manuals.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Ensure that all Cash and Social Protection projects include and follow appropriate M and E systems, allowing the documentation of best practices, lessons learned and successes, and the use of M and E information and documentation to continually improve programming;
Coordination and Networking
- Coordinate all technical activities with partners, sub-recipients, donors, and government agencies, international and local NGOs and community organizations. Liaise and coordinate with other related projects and activities ongoing in Adeso.
- Promote learning on the increased use of safety nets; strengthened systems, structures, and services and a strengthened national evidence base on cash and social protection.
- Participate in relevant working groups as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international development, social sciences, or related field
- Extensive relevant experience for more than 5 years working in marked based approaches, including on economic security and social protection initiatives
- Awareness of global trends in social protection programming
- Experience with USAID, EU funded projects (ideally, in a senior technical position) highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies that employ evidence-based approaches to meet project targets, especially under rigorous timelines.
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, and international staff.
- Ability to respond on short notice and plan and execute several activities at once.
- Ability to work under pressure, as part of a team or independently, and meet deadlines consistently.
- Proven experience hiring, training, and supervising teams of international and local staff.
- Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
How to Apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 26th August 2015.
Each application should be addressed to HR Director and include the following:
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.