Administrative Assistant Job at United Nations Office in Nairobi
Department/Office: UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT NAIROBI
Duty Station: NAIROBI
Posting Period: 09 September 2016 – 22 September 2016
Job Opening Number: 65596
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the respective office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services . The position is located in Budget and Financial Management Service (BFMS), United Nations Office at Nairobi. Under the overall supervision of the Chief Budget Section, the incumbent is responsible for:
Admin Assistant Job Responsibilities
Human Resources Management:
- Initiate, review, process and follow-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities,
- Respond to enquiries and provide information and advice to staff regarding their entitlements, administrative procedures, processes and practices.
- Oversee the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keep track of status of vacancy announcements.
- Monitor staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
Budget and Finance:
- Assist in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements.
- Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary.
- Assist managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures
- Prepare or customize financial reports from IMIS system generated reports.
- Co-ordinate with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Assist with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
- Audit the contractors’ invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
- Process the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments.
- Prepare and process all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit.
- Draft routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinate extensively with service units and liaise frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Performs other related duties as required
- Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc.
- Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Education for Admin Assistant Job
- High school diploma or equivalent. Must have passed the United Nations Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) at Headquarters or an equivalent locally-administered test at Offices Away.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible of experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area.
- Experience in use of INSPIRA and ERP (Umoja), preparation of reports for recruitment interviews and preparation of financial reports and presentations for managers would be desirable.
- Experience in recruitment procedure under UN Rules and Regulations is an added advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of a second official United Nations language is an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How to Apply
Click here to apply