Secretary/Programme Administrative Assistant Jobs at African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS)
The African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS) is a leading Pan-African transdisciplinary network of researchers, policymakers, private sector actors and the civil society actors that promote the generation, dissemination use and mastery of science, technology and innovation (STI) for African Development, environmental sustainability and global inclusion. Its mission is to improve the quality of science, technology, and innovation research, policy and practice for sustainable development in Africa. Working primarily through National Chapters in at least 27 African countries, ATPS supports science, technology and innovation capacity building for African development through knowledge generation; knowledge brokerage; knowledge dissemination & outreach; and knowledge valorization.
Its research and training efforts focuses on building a culture of innovation to address topical and emerging development challenges in the continent including climate change, health care delivery, integrated management of environmental infrastructure including land, water, and biodiversity, etc. for sustainable ecosystem services, community livelihoods, and poverty alleviation. ATPS also support thematic and facilitative programs to broker the socialization of science and technologies in Africa through democratic governance of knowledge and technology sharing and the up scaling and down scaling of indigenous and emerging technologies to facilitate equitable partnerships within the continent and beyond. For more details about ATPS, please visit our website at: www.atpsnet.org
ATPS is seeking to recruit a Secretary/Programme Administrative Assistant to be based at its Secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya.
Secretary/Programme Administrative Assistant Job Main Duties
- Arrange appointments for the Executive Director (ED) , including his/her travels where necessary, and assist in making the necessary preparations for each appointment;
- Manage all incoming and outgoing communication and correspondences in the Executive Director’s office, in all cases ensuring security from loss or damage and, where required, maintaining confidentiality;
- Type, or otherwise prepare, documents generated by the ED and distribute or dispatch them accordingly. File all records to and from the ED;
- Monitor the supply of materials in the office of the ED, including stationery, and replenish them as required; and Call the ED’s attention to deadlines, ahead of time to ensure they are met.
- Screen all official correspondence addressed to the ED, where appropriate redirect it to the relevant ATPS officers;
- Ensure all documents brought to the ED for his/her approval have passed through all the stages required by established procedure, and explain to ATPS staff this procedure;
- Arrange necessary supplies and/or services for meetings called by the ED;
- Give administrative and secretarial support to the Finance and Administration office and carry out specialized activities;
- Jointly with Finance and Administration Manager; be responsible for all immigration matters for international staff, ROs, ED i.e. work permits, re-entry passes, dependant passes, IDs, etc;
- Jointly with the Finance and Administration Manager, responsible for obtaining project equipment quotations as well as following up on receipt of shipment by the recipients; and
- Effectively manage ATPS’s calendar of events and the Executive Director’s daily schedule.
- Keep track of the status of Research grants and donor programmes and assist with maintenance of all correspondence and files on programs, research projects and researchers;
- Assist in drafting and consolidating donor reports for submission to donors on a timely basis;
- Assist with monitoring and implementation of programme/project activities involving extensive liaison with the field projects;
- Maintain time sheets from research staff and external researchers;
- Assist with the compilation of material/documents for meetings and package these;
- Assist with preparation of grant and consultancy contracts and the contract circulation forms;
- Assist with estimating and costing budgets for contracts, travel stipends, workshops, conferences, miscellaneous expenditure and raising necessary pre-encumbrances and obligation documents;
- Coordinating the receipt and review of conference submissions and ensuring reviews are sent to the research and communications department on a timely basis;
- Assist with the management of conference activities including ensuring timelines are met and the necessary reports submitted;
Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Details of these duties and performance indicators will be documented in a Forward Job Plan (FJP) that will be developed in consultations with supervisor(s) and approved by the Executive Director. The FJP will be seen as an integral part of a contract.
Required qualifications for the Secretary/Programme Administrative Assistant Job
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Secretarial Studies, Public Relations, Business Administration or any other relevant qualification
- Minimum 3 years of experience in related field and preferably a senior position
Professional course in public relations /secretarial course will be an added advantage Required skills and competencies:
- Proficiency in computer use
- Excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft office suite
- Excellent typing speed and accuracy
- Should demonstrate excellent spoken and written language skills with good telephone etiquette
- Must be highly organized, dependable, result oriented and good time manager
- Experience in working in an International non-governmental organization.
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to undertake research will be an advantage
- Proficiency in English, French, Kiswahili and Experience in Public relations will be a major advantage.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send a detailed letter of interest and curriculum vitae to [email protected] on or not later than 17th October 2016.African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS) 8th Floor, The Chancery Building, Valley Road P.O. Box 10081-00100 GPO, Nairobi, Kenya