Who We Are
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
People Operations at Bridge
People are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our academies to software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. The People Operations team is the key in unlocking “people potential” towards achieving our company’s goals. We believe in:
- Focusing on operational excellence and execution – we want to make our employees’ and their managers’ lives simpler, and give them the tools and support to be successful. We must excel first and foremost on service delivery.
- Using analytics/data to drive key decisions and continuous improvement – across core HR competencies like compensation, performance, talent, we believe that an analytical approach will enable us to attract, reward, and retain top performers.
- Aligning with the company’s strategic objectives – we are all playing for the same team. The human resources function, along with finance, operations, legal, and other functional areas, should be fully in sync.
About the role
The Administrative Assistant performs a wide range of administrative and office support activities for the department, managers and other staff to facilitate the efficient operation of the organization. This position requires an individual who possesses excellent organizational skills and the disposition to work well with other department members.
What You Will Do
- Assist in inventory at the training site which includes;
- Admin office inventory
- Cleaning inventory
- First Aid inventory
- Kitchen inventory
- Facility inventory
- Assist in purchasing food stuff and other materials needed for training.
- Assist in labelling and setting up of classrooms in preparation of training.
- Issuance of training materials and filing.
- Assist during admission of trainees.
- Clearing trainees that are dropping out of training and update the list accordingly.
- Processing transport reimbursement for trainees.
- Supervision of the feeding program on site.
- Ensure sufficient availability of the training materials by ordering and/ or refilling available stock.
- Ensure the general wellbeing of the trainees’ i.e. catering and serving of meals.
- Ensure training rules and regulations are well adhered to.
- Supervision of cleaners, cooks and security guards.
- Issuance of certificates and shirts to trainees.
- Dorms and facility management.
- Assist in final day trainee clearance.
What You Should Have
- A Diploma or Higher Diploma in Business Administration or social sciences.
- At least two years’ experience handling administrative duties
- Proficiency in Ms Office
- Good command of both English and Swahili languages
- Ability to multi task
- Good judgment in trouble shooting, problem solving, awareness of own limitations, strong inter-personal skills and internal motivation essential
- Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management
- Communication skills – written and verbal
- Planning and organizing
- Problem assessment and problem solving
- Information gathering and information monitoring
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.