Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary Grade: FSN-6 (Ugshs 41,892,912 p.a inclusive of allowances)
Vacancy Announcement Number: 99-16
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Deborah R. Malac currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The GSO Administrative Clerk will be responsible for performing office management; administrative and clerical duties for the General Services Office and to provide customer support to its clients.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
GSO Receptionist Duties: 90 %
- Drafts and types letters, memos, cables, diplomatic notes and staff notices for the General Services Officer in accordance with well-defined instructions and precedents.
- Reviews all documents prior to submission to the supervisor to ensure that they are grammatically correct, free of spelling or typographical errors and adhere to standard format. Receives reviews and screens all incoming telephone communications transferring calls to the appropriate person and/or taking messages and following up on calls to ensure action needed.
- Receives reviews and controls all incoming and outgoing written unclassified correspondence.
- Maintains, organizes and updates administrative files in the GSO Share drive folder.
- Maintains, organizes and updates files, documents and information on the embassy Sharepoint site.
- Attends staff meetings to record pertinent information as note taker and updates agendas. Retains a photocopy of action documents marking due dates. Tracks and follows up to ensure response is made by the due date.
- Keeps an up-to-date spreadsheet of GSO staff’s annual leave, training records and emergency contact information.
- Controls a cupboard stock of office supplies. Submits procurement requests for GSO related requirements.
- Maintains a time and attendance log for Housing, Customs and Shipping and Procurement staff including submitting and filing time and attendance (T&A) reports. Assists FM Secretary and Management Receptionist.
- Provides logistical support for visiting high level delegations.
- Offers customer support as the primary liaison between clients and GSO. Receives requests for information and support and takes lead in providing the appropriate action.
Other Duties: Perform any other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the US Embassy GSO Administrative Clerk job opportunity should have two years of post-secondary studies in Secretarial studies, Administration, Management from a university or technical institute is required.
- At least two years of progressively responsible office management experience is required.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of general office management and administrative procedures
- Broad knowledge and understanding of General Services operations. Real Property Application program (RPA); Outlook calendar.
- Familiarization with sections 14 & 15 of the Foreign Affairs Manual and the mission organization.
- Knowledge of local and U.S. Government offices (MFA, Uganda Revenue Authority, Registry of vehicles, municipal water and electricity departments) and processes to complete assigned duties is required.
- Typing speed of 40 w.p.m.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. working knowledge of MS Word, Excel spreadsheets, presentations (PowerPoint) and e-mail systems.
- Ability to obtain, organize, and present factual data in a logical way is required.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, apply pertinent regulations, and follow through on a wide variety of assigned work projects is required.
- Language Proficiency: Level IV English speaking and writing ability is required. Level 3 speaking knowledge of Luganda or Runyakitara is required.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
- Download a completed and signed Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff, Download it Here.
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at [email protected]
NB: Your application will be reviewed if you have fulfilled all the requirements including submission of standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) in a single attachment (No Zipped files, Links or Multiple Attachments) and should not exceed 10MB. Please clearly indicate the position number and title you are applying for on the DS-174 form.
Deadline: 25th November 2016