Administrative Intern At The Danish Refugee Council
Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4Mi)
The overall objective of the RMMS is to support agencies, institutions and forums in the Horn of Africa and Yemen sub-region to improve the management of protection and assistance response to people in mixed migration flows in the Horn of Africa and across the Gulf of Aden or Red Sea in Yemen. RMMS is implementing the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism Initiative (4mi) to ensure an improved data collection and more authoritative analysis in the region.
To establish an innovative, ‘lite’ and organic, longitudinal monitoring mechanism of mixed migration flows within and out of the Horn and East Africa, 4Mi utilizes informal monitoring methods using existing local agencies, key informants or localized stakeholders (community based agencies etc.) at key hubs and ‘hot’ spots through which migrant smuggling and migrant movement occurs. Innovative digital data gathering technology is used to maximize veracity of data and GPS verification of data sources.
The purpose of 4Mi is to manage and analyze data compiled by 4Mi monitors and support project implementation in order to support a wide range of agencies, donors, governments, departments and academic institutions by providing more concrete and authoritative information concerning mixed migration flows and trend changes in flows. The objective is to inform policy, debate and programmatic response; to increase understanding of conditions and changing realities on ground and protection deficits etc.
The 4mi administrative intern will assist the 4mi Project Manager, as well as the RMMS staff, in a wide range of administrative activities as part of the overall strategy of the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat, focusing on field monitor management, support and coordination
Key Responsibilities of The Admin Intern:
- Daily communication and support to field-based 4Mi monitors and various project partners, addressing issues and/or challenges, and a full of documentation of all interactions with the monitors and profiles of the monitors’ commitments.
- Monitoring 4Mi data submissions and working closely with Finance department to make timely payments for all field-based monitors.
- Liaison with established refugee/migrant-focused agencies who may need to access relevant data.
- Qualitative information made available on monthly and quarterly basis concerning conditions en route, violations, number of deaths and disappearances, protection risks, economy of smuggling and trafficking, migrant intentions and aspirations etc.
- Creation of a reference list of NGOs and CSOs for potential monitor recruitment through active networking and interaction with the designated CSOs and NGOs in French-speaking West Africa.
- Support the administration, operations, and management of the 4Mi project.
- Closely manage 4Mi Monitors, as well as review their monthly submissions, and process payments and provide timely feedback to field monitors.
- Liaise closely with partners, contractors, key informants, contacts and other interlocutors critical to the success of this project.
- To work closely and collaboratively with RMMS staff in analyzing combined information sources.
- To minimally manage, analyze, and organize data and be adept at some analysis and interpretation of large quantities of data in Microsoft Excel.
- Any additional work tasks in support of the RMMS/4Mi management.
Qualifications for the Admin Internship Jobs:
- Pursuing degree in Communication, Journalism, Law, International Relations, Development or Social Science
- Demonstrated interest in the migration, aid sector and/or journalism, communication sector.
- Written and Verbal Fluency in both English & French is required
- High level of organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in a team and/or managing projects remotely
- Understanding of basic IT systems, including android-based smart phone settings and applications. Desired:
- Experience in data gathering systems, migration and ICT
- Experience with NGO financial systems and contracting. Reporting: The 4Mi
- Administrative Intern will report to the 4Mi Project Manager.
- Contract: Availability: Duty Station:
- 3 Months November 1, 2016 Nairobi, Kenya
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications are invited to send an updated CV and a one- page cover letter application to [email protected] submit by 22 October, 2016. Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents. Only candidates with right to work in Kenya will be considered