Appointment against this position is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira ‘Need Help?’ link.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. Umoja is the project approved by the General Assembly resolution 63/262 that aims at the transformation of the United Nations Secretariat by enabling high quality, cost effective service delivery to support the execution of evolving mandates everywhere the organisation operates. Umoja will unite the many support and administrative entities through the Secretariat through re-designed and common processes for the management of all financial, human and physical resources; a single information system; and training of staff. Umoja was deployed for UNON, UNEP and UN-Habitat on 1 June 2015, and the project is currently in the post implementation phase. This post is located in the Management and Operations Division of UNHABITAT at the Nairobi duty station.
Within delegated authority the Administrative Officer will be reporting to the Director, Management & Operations Division and will be responsible for the following duties
Human Resource Management
- Effectively coordinates actions relative to the administration of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Defines conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
Budget and Finance
- Monitors and reviews the work programme and budget by conducting regular and special reviews to assess progress of actual work versus the programme plan.
- Defines requirements and work with systems units with respect to improving budget reporting systems and cost effective utilization of program resources.
- Develops procedures and implement same to ensure that accounting and financial management controls are consistent with UN policy and practice.
- Oversees work related to procurement, billing and receipt of income from various services, operational travel programme, procurement monitoring and evaluation of vendor contracts/payment to vendors and individual contractors for services.
- Reviews adequacy of departmental space requirements.
- Oversees the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, coordinating enhancements as necessary.
- Takes the lead in the improvement of business processes and operating model of UN-Habitat in line with the deployment of an ERP.
- Preparation of various Management reports from BI and ECC.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures; Knowledge of roles, responsibilities and end to end processes in the context of an ERP system. Knowledge of streamlining processes; Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations; Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis; Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations; Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, economics, or related area is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Certification in Business Intelligence is required and Certification in SAP Security Overview would be highly desirable.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, human resources management or related field is required. Experience with the deployment of an ERP system in an international organization is required.
- Experience reviewing current work processes and developing/implementing new methods and procedures to promote efficiency is required/highly desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here