Adult Literacy Teacher Jobs at Shining Hope Community
The job holder is responsible for skills training and implementation of adult literacy program that integrates the entrepreneurship aspect for urban poor in kibera so as to increase credit access and strengthen already existing employment opportunities in the slum.
Responsibilities for the Adult Literacy Teacher Job
- Work with administration to design and develop a comprehensive basic adult education curriculum which is tailor-made to suit the needs of the targeted adults in Kibera.
- Regularly prepare schemes of work and lesson plans to be used in the curriculum implementation process
- Integrate competencies, goals, and objectives into lesson plans and incorporate specific, measurable, behavioral objectives and timeframes.
- Utilize various instructional methods, including tactile, visual, and aural learning preferences, and incorporate real-world context into classroom settings, and use interactive and participatory methods to empower students.
- Assist in designing a system to monitor and evaluate students’ attendance and performance. Provide weekly, quarterly, or yearly academic reports. Provide students with suggestions and feedback.
- Assist in the recruitment of participants, including participating in community outreach programs.
- Work with program coordinators to ensure initiatives are being met.
- Ensure the creation and maintenance of a safe, orderly classroom environment
- Program Coordination:
- Measurement of the attainment of the program’s desired outcomes
- Provision of monthly reports to administration
- Design a long term plan for the program
- Review of existing literacy curricula, learning materials and training methodologies and modify and adapt to suit the specific contexts and conditions of Kibera
- Development of new life skills curricula, learning materials and training methodologies where necessary
- Development of a Trainer’s Manual to facilitate the capacity building of other literacy and ESL trainers
- Development of quantitative and qualitative data collections tools (baseline skills surveys, recognition of prior learning, training feedback forms) to ensure monitoring and evaluation
Qualifications for the Adult Literacy Teacher Job
- Diploma in Education or Adult education and Community Development or related field with at least 1 year of experience teaching Adult education
- Proficient computer skills and in-depth knowledge of relevant software such as MS Office Suite
- Knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures
- Coordination skills
- Effective communication skills
- Information gathering and information monitoring skills
- Problem analysis and problem solving skills
- Judgment and decision-making ability
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Comfortable working in an informal settlement
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV to the HR Manager, [email protected] quoting their current and expected salaries. Applications without this information will not be considered. DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should reach us no later than 15th June 2017.