Senior Communications Officer Publications & Media Jobs at AFIDEP
We are seeking to fill the position of Senior Communications Officer Publications and Media Engagement who shall be based in our Nairobi office. The ideal candidate is passionate about communicating science in a way that brings about change. The candidate has a good appreciation of global development efforts and is committed to using their professional expertise and skills to contribute to tackling some of the world’s most complex development issues. The Senior Communications Officer for Publications and Media Engagement will be the overall in charge of publications development and production, and media engagement.
Responsibilities for the Senior Communications Officer Job
- Undertake highlevel technical editing of research publications including research reports, research briefs, policy briefs, etc., to ensure they are presented in clear, accessible and compelling language.
- Develop policyoriented publications (policy briefs, factsheets) based on research evidence emerging from AFIDEP’s research synthesis work.
- Develop AFIDEP’s institutional publications e.g. brochures, newsletters, annual reports.
- Oversee the design, production and dissemination of all AFIDEP publications.
- Conduct training for AFIDEP staff on effective communication of research to nonscientific audiences.
- Establish and maintain meaningful and productive linkages with the mass media.
- Develop media materials based on evidence generated by AFIDEP including media releases, media kits, OpEds, etc.
- Conduct training and other forums for journalists to generate interest and enhance their understanding of research evidence.
- Identify and commission consultants for supporting communication work at the Institute.
- Identify and facilitate AFIDEP’s participation in important national and regional policy dialogue forums.
- Contribute to AFIDEP’s policy dialogue activities e.g. attend meetings, make presentations.
- Expand AFIDEP’s policy links through the establishment of contact with relevant national policymakers and regional bodies and networks.
- Lead or contribute to writing relevant grant proposals for AFIDEP’s communications programme.
Requirements for the Senior Communications Officer Job
- Masters’ degree in communications or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant communications experience, preferably in a research setting or the development sector.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English (proficiency in French is desirable).
- Experience in developing and producing high impact research publications.
- Handson graphics design skills and experience commissioning and working with graphics designers.
- Experience working with the media in enabling research coverage by the media.
How To Apply
The position will be subject to a twoyear renewable contract, depending on performance, continued need of the Institute, and availability of funding. Competitive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are required to send their 1) onepage cover letter, 2) CV (including three relevant referees), and 3) twopage statement detailing career expedience and goals, what they will bring to AFIDEP, and how working at AFIDEP will help pursue his/her career goals NOT LATER THAN MARCH 20, 2017 to:
Finance and Administration Manager,
African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP),
6th Floor Westcom Point Building, Mahiga Mairu Avenue off Waiyaki Way, Westlands
P.O. Box 1468800800, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
Email: [email protected]