African Technology Policy Studies Network Research Jobs
The African Technology Policy Studies Network (ATPS) is a trans-disciplinary network of researchers, private sector actors and policy makers promoting the generation, dissemination, use and mastery of Science, Technology and Innovations (STI) for Africa’s sustainable development. Our mission is to improve the STI research, policy and practice for sustainable development in Africa, by Africans and for Africa.
The centre piece of the mission is the strong belief that Africa’s vast natural resources and human capital, as well as its youthful population provide opportunities for the continent to contribute meaningfully to global economic prosperity and sustainability. However, bridging the knowledge and technological gaps between Africa and the rest of the world is pre-requisite for economic prosperity in Africa.
One of our strategic priorities under ATPS Phase VII Strategic Plan (2013-2017) is the generation of knowledge through research and research capacity building. Under this priority, the ATPS undertake research and research capacity building activities under selected priority sectors including sustainable agriculture and food security; low carbon economy and environmental infrastructure.
In each priority sector, our research activities focus on building innovation systems capacities for poverty alleviation; climate change adaptation and mitigation; global development paradigms (the role of STI in the new green economy); emerging technologies (their policy implications, advocacy and the socialization of these technologies); and youth and genders development for science and technology.
We are seeking to recruit dynamic trans-disciplinary individuals to fill the following positions:
Officer Research Job Responsibilities
- Generating and translating new concepts and research ideas into projects and/or programmes;
- Developing proposals and raising funds for the implementation of projects and/or programmes;
- Managing the grants process and the regional research programmes;
- Managing the publication of research outputs into various publications and assist identify during proposal development various outputs that would come out of the new projects using specific timelines;
- Developing and implementing strategies for promoting the work of the network; and particularly establishing dynamic policy outreach and advocacy processes with National Chapters;
- Collaborating and liaising with ATPS national chapters in 30 countries in the development, planning and reporting of chapter activities and projects;
- Initiating and coordinating training activities with partner institutions for various stakeholders;
- Liaising with the national coordinators and researchers on administrative and non-technical issues;
- Ensuring that the relevant information on issues on science and technology in Africa is disseminated to network members;
- Overseeing coordination of conferences, seminars and workshops and representing the Executive Director at workshops and meetings when assigned;
- Ensuring that results of all ATPS research meet international standards by organizing and managing appropriate peer review mechanisms; in liaison with the Executive Director;
- Advising on, coordinating and managing the translation and dissemination of technical information to meet the needs of specific audiences;
- Overseeing the coordination of capacity building workshops and related activities to strengthen the capacity of ATPS National Chapters and other constituents;
- Ensuring efficient and effective collaboration with ATPS international, regional and national partners;
- Developing and strengthening collaboration with the private sector and civil society including the media;
- Publishing at least three techno-policy briefs and two journal articles each year;
- Managing individual and institutional grant and consultancy contracts and oversee development of an electronic grants management system;
- Managing the preparation of work and budget for research projects, communication and outreach activities;
- Managing the quality and delivery of all communications outputs to ensure that they meet the highest international editorial standards;
- Representing the Executive Director when assigned during meetings with donors, conferences and various forums to promote work of the network;
- Assisting the Executive Director by organizing and managing appropriate peer review mechanisms on all ATPS research results;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor or the Executive Director.
Qualifications for the Officer Research Job
- Professional with good character and strong ability to work in a team and under work pressure;
- Master’s Degree in Science, Technology and Innovation or related subjects including natural or social sciences, or equivalent expertise. Possession of a PhD in the relevant field will be an added advantage;
- At least two years’ experience in research/research management in science and technology policy in a similar international organization;
- Demonstrate capacity and ability to fundraise and manage knowledge networks;
- Strong interpersonal skills and a good team player;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Experience in STI policy analysis in Africa will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in French will be a major advantage.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send a detailed letter of interest and curriculum vitae immediately to: [email protected] A competitive salary will be offered to the successful candidates. Please quote the vacancy position that you are applying for as the subject for your email application. The positions will remain vacant until a suitable candidate is found