The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by eighteen (18) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger, South Sudan, Sudan, The Gambia, and Guinea-Bissau. The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
Responsibilities for the Finance & Admin Internships in Kenya
- Assist in maintaining Petty cash book; completely up to date, including record of reconciliations
- Assist in reconciliations of the cash books to the bank statements and GL
- Assist in postings into Apogee accounting software
- Assist in Preparing withholding tax certificates;
- Assist in Filing all Finance and Administration documents
- Assist in VAT exemption processing
- From time to time provide support to AVU projects including bulk photocopying, scanning and binding of documents and any other logistical support;
- The intern shall perform any other duties that may from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
Must be a mature, respectful and honest person of high integrity that is able to work in a team and make meaningful contributions to the team objective.
Good communication and sound report-writing skills will be an added advantage.
Should be quick in understanding, keen in taking instructions, and able to work with minimum supervision.
Should be willing, ready and able to perform other duties as delegated to him/her by the supervisor.
Qualifications for the Finance & Admin Internships
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Finance or Accounting option;
- Qualified CPA part II or equivalent in ACCA;
- Keen and pays attention to detail;
- Ability to work well within a team
- Possess Excel spread sheet and word-processing programs at a highly proficient level;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and meet multiple deadlines;
- Detail-oriented with good multi-tasking abilities and communication skills, both oral and written;
- Must be numerate;
- Exposure to one or more computerised accounting packages will be an added advantage;
- The candidate must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of a Finance Intern;
- Flexibility and a can-do approach to tasks and the ability to adapt to a changing and challenging environment;
The interns are expected to work from Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm
Duration: 4.5 months
Reporting: The interns will report to the Manager, Finance and Administration and will work closely with the Finance Officer.
The successful candidates will be appointed for an initial 4.5 months. This position is based at AVU offices in Nairobi, Kenya.
How to Apply
Application must include an application letter highlighting suitability for the position and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to [email protected] and must have FINANCE AND ADMINISTATIVE INTERN as the email subject
The closing date for this application is FEBRUARY 14TH at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3).
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted