The Africa Centre for Open Governance (AfriCOG) is an independent, non-profit making organization with a mandate to provide cutting edge research on governance and public ethics issues and, monitor governance fundamentals in both the government and the private sector. AfriCOG’s governance and anti-corruption reform initiative are aimed at addressing the structural causes of Kenya’s governance crisis by a knowledgeable citizenry.
AfriCOG seeks to recruit an accountant to provide accounting services to assist in managing AfriCOG’s financial accounting system and ensuring effective financial controls and accounting procedures and practices are followed.
Responsibilities for the Accounting Job
- Direct reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager
- Working relationship with all staff.
- Effective management of AfriCOG financial accounting system
- Assist in developing an appropriate financial accounting system
- Keep and operate a simple accounting system (QuickBooks)
- Keep a record of all the receipts and payments
- Keep all consultancy contracts for associates
- Undertaking all banking services
- Undertaking monthly bank reconciliations and cash flow management
- Assist in Preparing and submitting monthly financial reports
- Assist in Preparing and submitting program financial reports
- Management of effective financial controls
- Make payments to all creditors including preparation of payment vouchers for approval and making payment reconciliations
- Supervise the use of office petty cash imprest
- Following up on all grant/program financial requests and payments
- Ensure tax compliance of AfriCOG
- Dealing with taxation matters including VAT, Withholding Tax and PAYE
- File tax returns in accordance with existing laws
- Facilitating audits (Program and institutional)
- Maintain proper filing system of all financial records
- Preparing for and facilitating statutory annual audits
- Liaise with specific donors on program audits
- Program accounts
- Familiarise with program documents and program financial requirements
- Assist to prepare and submit program financial reports and reconciliations
- Follow up on all per diems and reconciliations
Qualifications for the Accounting Job
- University Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field from a recognized university.
- Professional accounting training – CPA (K), Chartered Accountant (CA), ACCA or equivalent.
- At least 4 years’ experience in accounting, preferably in a not for profit organization.
- Strong technical knowledge of finance and accounting.
- High level of IT proficiency in use of MS Word, Excel and QuickBooks.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities.
- Excellent communication and Interpersonal skills.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter specifying how they meet the person specification and a CV (no more than 3 pages) to [email protected]
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Only candidates resident and eligible to work in Kenya may apply.