Agricultural Productivity Specialist Job in Kenya
- Nairobi, Kenya
SNV is a non-profit international development organisation established in the Netherlands in 1965. For over 50 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower local families and communities to break the cycle of poverty. We are present on the ground in 38 developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America and operates in Agriculture & Food Security, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Our more than 1,000 advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and over 80 per cent are nationals of the countries where we work
For more information, please visit: www.snv.org.
Based in Nairobi with extensive travel to the field
About the Feed the Future Project
USAID/Kenya and East Africa’s (KEA’s) Office of Economic Growth (OEG) is issuing a five-year, $50 million Request for Applications (RFA) for USAID/KEA’s Crops and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity. This activity is part of an inter-related suite of activities issued by USAID/KEA under the Global Food Security Strategy (GFSS), using shared approaches in different geographic areas. The suite includes: the the Crop and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity (in western and eastern Kenya with potential geographic shift based on information gathered during implementation); Livestock Market Systems Development Activity (in northern Kenya), and the Kenya Investment Mechanism Activity (KIM), which is national in scope.
This suite of activities will aim to advance the objectives of GFSS: inclusive and sustainable agriculturally-led economic growth, strengthened resilience among people and systems, and a well-nourished population, especially women and children. The activity will support the Kenyan people, and also contribute towards enhancing economic opportunities and security for the American people.
Agricultural Productivity Specialist
SNV Kenya is currently seeking an Agricultural Productivity Specialist for the anticipated USAID funded Kenya Feed the Future Crop and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity Program. The project’s primary focus will be to increase agricultural productivity and incomes of smallholder farmers. This anticipated FTF-funded Activity will have a strong focus on sustainable, private-sector driven market development in the dairy, horticulture, and grains value chains. The Agricultural Productivity Specialist is expected to manage value chain assessments that will inform interventions following a facilitative approach that promotes lasting sustainability. Program interventions in dairy and other value chains will work through market participants as drivers of change and are likely to target improved competitiveness and trade, increased farm household productivity and market access, improved nutrition-related behaviors and improved access to diverse and quality food, and building the sustainability local organizations.
The Agricultural Productivity Specialist is expected to lead the development and management of all interventions related to diversifying and improving agricultural productivity. This position is will be required to lead a team of technical advisors. The location for this position is Nairobi.
- Serve as the senior field-level manager and representative with primary responsibility for coordinating, planning, and implementing technical interventions across the dairy value chain.
- Support the Chief of Party in all aspects of program management including ensuring integration and coordination across consortium teams and the establishment of a “one team” approach to implementation.
- Develop value chain strategies for working with producers and enterprises to develop their capacity to identify and respond to business opportunities in the targeted value chains value chain. These strategies should facilitate private sector engagement and investment among various levels of agriculture value chains including but not limited to producer, trader, processor, and wholesaler levels.
- Ensure that program strategies facilitate strategic, commercially viable partnerships between value chain actors, especially with women and youth.
- Manage a team of technical advisors that provide technical leadership in areas related to improved aggregation, post-harvest handling and storage; market linkages; business enabling environment; and other interventions that promote value chain competitiveness and food security.
- Promote strong relationships with USAID, the Government of Kenya, other donor, multi-lateral, and non-governmental organizations, and the private sector.
- A minimum of 10 years’ international experience with successful value chain development projects in the technical area of management responsibility.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience on projects with similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries.
- Demonstrated success in implementing projects aimed at increasing the productivity and inclusiveness of value chains using facilitation approaches.
- Education and technical expertise in a field related to agricultural development such as: agricultural economics, marketing, agronomy, agribusiness management or related fields.
3 years with possibility of extension
Desired start date:
Based on award, anticipated October 1, 2017
How to apply
Please apply by submitting your application letter and a CV that contains three referees in English before 30 June, 2017.
More information about SNV Kenya
For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted