Job Advert: Farm Hand / ManagerA farmers’ group practicing small scale (5-20 acres) horticultural farming seeks to employ an experienced farm hand to oversee its farm operations.
- The farm location is currently at Ngoliba / environs but the location can change.Roles
- Oversee land preparation as required for different horticultural products, as well as planting; and weeding either through tilling or herbicide application
- Ensure that insecticides, pesticides, manures and fertilizers are applied according to schedule and in the right quantities
- Oversee farm hygiene, handling of produce, harvesting, storage and sale as may be required
- Ensure safety of tools, machinery and produce
- Supervise farmhands
- Keep records, and prepare weekly reports/updates
- Keep constant, proper and suitable communication with the farmer group, and other experts that the farmer group may identify or designate
Qualities and Qualification
- Relevant education, at least certificate or diploma in agriculture, extension, agronomy, etc
- Demonstrable experience of not less than three years, with solid references
- Rote knowledge of suitable crop varieties, herbicides, pesticides and insecticides
- Thorough understanding of growing and value chain of common horticultural products including tomatoes, onions, melons, etc
- High integrity, and ability to keep records and communicate clearly and properly
- Able and willing to live in the farm
- Understanding or organic farming, traceability, minimum spraying or GAP standards an added advantage
How to Apply
If interested and you meet the qualifications, send in your application and CV to [email protected] by 14th August 2015.
Including 3 referees and expected monthly allowance.
Monthly allowance will be entry level range and could have an option of bonus based on exceptional performance.