Organization: COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale is a relief and development organization founded in Italy in 1965. COOPI’s envisions a world without poverty where diverse cultures live together sharing equal rights and equal opportunities.
COOPI’s mission is to reduce poverty in the global South through interventions of long-term sustainable international cooperation.
COOPI also conducts advocacy activities in Italy, to fight the cause of the serious economic gap between the North and South.
COOPI is part of the Somalia Resilience Programme; an NGO led consortium piloting resilience based initiative in Dolow District, Gedo Region.
The objective of this program is to understand the root causes of vulnerability in pastoral, agro-pastoral, peri-urban households and community groups in selected locations in order to enhance the resilience of communities through a focus on productive capacities.
Position: Animal Production Officer
Reporting To: Resilience Program Manager
Duration: 4 Months (Sept-Dec) – Contract renewable annually depending on availability of funds
Location: Dolow District in Gedo Region
- Identify and or strengthen/support the establishment of community based animal health services.
- Facilitate awareness raising and training of households and communities on the health standards for export.
- Training of communities on herd management strategies, mechanisms for disease surveillance, treatment and vaccination.
- Facilitate communities to identify and undertake rehabilitation of productive infrastructure.
- Support communities to access markets, export certification information and in establishment of marketing associations.
- Facilitate capacity building of communities in marketing of livestock products and value addition of animal products.
- Promote growing of commercial fodder.
- Supervise training on fodder production techniques, hay harvesting and storage as well as support in building of storage facilities.
- Support communities in strengthening of traditional pastoral risk management institutions.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Holder of a Animal Health/Animal Production Degree/Diploma with three years of technical veterinary training /course from a recognized veterinary institute.
- Recognized and registered with the Professional Livestock/Veterinary Association of the region (provide evidence when applying).
- Should have at least three years professional experience.
- Must be a Somali National with clear knowledge of the region of operation.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use standard computing packages (word, excel, outlook, power point, internet etc);
- Developed planning, organizational and research / analytical skills;
- Strong team working and interpersonal skills;
- Experience working in fast paced humanitarian programming in Somalia is an advantage;
- Be able to communicate effectively in Somali and English Language.
Start date: September 2015
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications through email to [email protected] by 18th August, 2015.
The application should be a cover letter and CV as one document and indicate the title of the position on the subject line.
Applications should include contact details of three professional referees.
One referee must be the applicant’s Immediate supervisor.
COOPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.