Kwale International Sugar Company Ltd: Located in the South Coast of Kenya between Kwale and Ramisi, Kwale International Sugar Company Limited (KISCOL) is in the process of establishing a green field sugar cane estate of 5,000 hectares as well as a processing complex with a capacity of 3000TCD, in line with its vision to be a world class corporate the Company would like to recruit qualified and experienced individuals.
KISCOL is committed to appointing and retaining the most qualified and competent staff that have proven future potential to effectively and efficiently perform duties and responsibilities that they shall be appointed to in accordance with the objectives of the organization.
Kwale International Sugar Company Limited (KISCOL) hereby invites applications from qualified and experienced individuals.
Job Title: Agronomist
Location: Kwale County
Reports To: Technical Director – Agriculture
The job holder will be responsible for: Planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, managing and controlling the activities and resources of the Crop Production Research Program in order to help attain targets of the Agriculture Operations in economical way.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting applied research that promote and maintain high cane and sugar yields and reduce cost of production;
- Establishing agronomic standards, and production systems;
- Planning, organizing, directing coordinating, managing, monitoring and evaluating the activities and budget of the Crop Production Research Program;
- Developing, directing and implementing appropriate agricultural research strategies, policies, standards, and procedures in view of the Companies objectives;
- Planning, coordinating, facilitating and directing the adoption, adaptation, development and promotion of agricultural research results and technologies.
- Developing and promoting improved research management systems or new research methods/techniques in view of continual improvement research performance;
- Enabling the mill to have high quality cane and through optimal choice of production inputs such as varieties, use of appropriate ripeners, herbicides, fertilizers as well as efficient use of water and improved sugarcane harvesting practices.
- Undertaking crop/nursery management monitoring/ audit with respect to standard cultivation practices;
- Planning and managing primary nursery;
- Developing and undertaking monitoring of plant nutrient status and recommending cost effective fertilizer management strategies;
- Developing and/reviewing working/operational standards needed for core agricultural operations;
- Providing advisory services both to the nucleus and outgrowers;
- Designing and establishing research and technical support systems to both the nucleus and outgrowers;
- Conducting hands on training program at site for the technical staff of the Agriculture Operations employees;
- Conducting seminars on progress of research projects and on new technologies available elsewhere;
- Developing and implementing the research strategy in the fields of cane agriculture and undertakes the required capacity building activities accordingly;
- Participating in undertaking skill gap identification (training need assessment) of Agriculture Operations; and
- Running and managing meteorological station;
- Preparing periodic performance reports;
- Performing other relevant tasks.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- M.Sc. in Agronomy
- 3 years relevant experience
- Relevant research/operation experience will be an added advantage
- Excellent writing & communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet stipulated deadlines.
- Display professional demeanor with qualities such as strong work ethics, trustworthiness, and self confidence.
- Strong influencing skills and consultative skills to bring efficiency and pro – activeness.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational, time and stress management skills
How to Apply
If you are up to the challenge, meet the above minimum qualifications and experience send your Application letter along with your Current CV as One Word Document, and a daytime telephone contact to; The Human Resource Manager P.O Box 46279-00100 Nairobi. OR e-mail [email protected]
The Subject of your mail should be ‘Agronomist’