Vacancies: Program Assistants
The Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI) is a five year USAID program implemented by the State University of New York’s (SUNY) Center for International Development (CID).
AHADI is designed to support Kenya’s vision and agenda for achieving the promise of devolution.
The program’s interventions aim to promote governance systems that are transparent, accountable, effective in service delivery, and responsive to empowered citizens by working at both the national and county government levels.
AHADI has three main objectives;
- Targeted counties provide higher quality services through improved governance
- Improved representation of citizen interests and oversight of targeted county government performance
- Functionality and effectiveness of the devolved system increased through intra-government engagement and cooperation.
Though AHADI is primarily a DRG project focused on improving the governance of Kenya’s new decentralized, system, it is also designed to have substantial impact on other sectors, as well.
AHADI therefore takes a sectorial approach in achieving its overall governance objectives. These sectors include but are not limited to good governance, resilience and economic growth, education, health and WASH.
Position Summary: In collaboration with AHADI staff, county government staff, and civil society partners, Program Assistant will manage the technical programmatic and grant activities in execution, administration and reporting.
Reports to: Senior Program Officer/Program Officer
Interrelationships: The Program Assistant liaises with the Director of Programs, Senior Program Officer / Program Officer / Regional Coordinators / Senior Grants Manger / Grants Manger as appropriate in the course of his/her duties.
The essential qualification, skills and attributes required for this post:
- Degree in economics, political science, arts, international relations or governance related studies
- At least 3 years work experience in a government, civil society organization, international organization, donor organization, think tank in the context of governance, democracy, humanitarian, international development.
- Good research, diplomacy and communication – oral and written skills.
- Strong research experience and have demonstrated ability to competently produce sound and intelligible reports.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good knowledge of computer applications, especially MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access and MS Excel.
- Good management skills
- Good communication skills
- Sound knowledge and practical experience in decentralization, parliamentary strengthening and policy & institutional reform
- Analytical thinking
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent Planning and organizing
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate
- Self-discipline and highly motivated
- Ability to cope with the unique pressures of a political work environment
- A team player.
Location and Duration: The Program Assistant will be based in the AHADI Nairobi office. This job description will be valid for one year and upon the end of the contract period (of one year) may be revised and/or renewed by SUNY/CID.
Travel: Travel in country is expected. Transportation, accommodations and per diem will be provided by the project in accordance with AHADI and USAID regulations. It is anticipated that in the travel will be between 30%-40%.
How to Apply
Do you have the above qualifications and skills?
(1) a Cover letter
(2) CV and
(3) References from three past supervisors
Closing date: 1st April 2016.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Kindly put the subject line for the position you are interested in.
Applications without the subject line will not be evaluated