Job Title: Shipment Assistant
Organisation: United States Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: General Services Office, Kampala, Uganda
Salary Grade: FSN-8 (Ugshs 54,207,719 to 78,964,473 P.a. inclusive of allowances).
About US Embassy:
Welcome to the United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda. The United States has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Scott H. DeLisi currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
• United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
• Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
• Peace Corps (PC)
Job Summary: The US Embassy Shipment Assistant expedites the customs clearances and other host Government approvals and arrange for commercial shipping services for all incoming and outgoing shipments of supplies, household effects, vehicles, coordinate the movements of the rest of the shipping office, maintain real time tracking of shipments and provide customer support.,etc.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Handles all customs documents for the import and export for the Embassy of all official supplies, equipment and vehicles and all employee household effects and consumables. Maintains files of all customs and shipping documents and a chronological Excel tracking sheet of all incoming and outgoing shipments.
• Regularly reviews all carrier bills and coordinate payment with the Budget and Fiscal Office.
• Verify the incoming shipments at the airport and arrange to transport them to Kampala, hiring transport and workers as required.
• Work in liaison with the contract agent for the entry of any shipments across the Kenya border and travel to the border to expedite such shipments when problems arise.
• Coordinate with our contract agent at Mombasa the entry of any shipments by ocean freight and the transhipment to Kampala.
• Routinely notify the General Services Officer, in writing, of any damaged or stolen shipments.
• Coordinate the supervision of the packing of personal effect for outgoing employees, arrange transport to the airport, consign to the destination, and prepares the notification for the vehicles of outgoing employees and prepare the notification telegrams.
• The incumbent will also prepare and process diplomatic notes for all clearances and exemptions from duty and sales tax.
• Supervise and coordinate the efficient activity the Customs and Shipping office LE Staff.
• Send timely feedback and follow up with contracted shipping agents as well as customers
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• The ideal candidate for the US Embassy Shipment Assistant must have completed College school
• At least three years of experience in shipping and transportation at least one of which should have involved importing and exporting, preferably in connection with the USG shipments.
• The incumbent should have detailed working knowledge of US Government shipping regulations, including agency regulations is desired. Knowledge of transportation and shipping, local customs practices and legal requirement is required.
• Proven ability to deal effectively with officials at all levels in getting things done and ability to make fast decisions on the spot is required.
• Language Proficiency: List both English and host country language(s) by level and specialization. Level III English is required
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
• Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) Download it Here.
• A current resume or curriculum vitae.
• Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
• Any other documentation (e.g. essays, transcripts/certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
NB: Only electronic submissions will be accepted and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject area of the email submission.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.
Deadline: 24th August 2015
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.