Voluntary Internship at Amnesty International
Office: Regional Office for East Africa, Horn of Africa and the Great Lakes
Duration: 6 months
Days per week: Minimum of 3 days per week
We are looking for a voluntary intern to work with the Great Lakes team for 6 months, for at least three days a week and preferably 5 days.
Although the voluntary intern’s role will be supervised, he/she will be expected to work independently, use their initiative and manage their own tasks. Willingness to undertake some routine administrative tasks is crucial. Projects will be devised by the team in collaboration with the voluntary intern, which will aim to assist the team in fulfilling its strategic objectives, while making the best use of the voluntary intern’s own skills, interests and experience.
Voluntary Intern Responsibilities
- Human rights monitoring: Monitor newspapers, online and social media, and reports from partners on a daily basis.
- Basic research tasks: with guidance from the team, carry out research on specific issues and ongoing developments and share findings with the team.
- Database management: Maintaining and updating logs on human rights violations and abuses as well as individuals at risk.
- Filing: Assist with electronic filing and filing of hardcopy materials.
- Administrative support: Assist with tasks such as mailing, event organization, and organizing contact databases.
- Basic translation: Assist with translation of communications and inquiries from the general public in French or other languages.
Qualifications for The Voluntary Intern Position
- Interest in and knowledge of the social, political and human rights context of the Great Lakes region – Rwanda and Burundi.
- Background through study, work or other experience in a relevant area, such as human rights, law, international relations, political science or social sciences.
- Commitment to Amnesty International’s mandate.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and to multi-task.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fluent written and spoken English and French.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of working as part of a team.
NB: Only applicants who have eligibility, i.e. Kenyan citizens or foreign students with a right to study and work in Kenya, will be considered for the above post.
How to Apply
Kindly apply here. Deadline: 22nd August 2017.