REF No.: Amref/STA-CHSS/2017/01-003
Main Purpose of Job
Support the county and sub-county health management teams (S/CHMTs) to strengthen systems for improving health service delivery including budgeting and planning, HRH, drugs and supplies, and information systems.
He/she will work with the CHMT to strengthen their capacity for coordination, planning, budgeting and financial management to provide effective, efficient and coordinated quality FP/RMNCAH services.
He/she will also support the county to develop public private partnerships and integrated approaches for delivery of RMNCHAH services.
Qualifications for the Technical Advisor Job
- Master’s Degree in the Health Sciences, public health or related field
- At least five years of experience in implementing complex public health programs of similar scope and size in
- Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in Kenya.
- Experience in managing donor funded programs
- At least five years demonstrated experience at mid- or senior level in health system strengthening, ideally including planning and budgeting, human resources for health, information systems and/or supply chain management
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level, including demonstrated experience in building capacity in government institutions at county and sub county levels
- Team player but also able to work independently
Technical Advisor Job Responsibilities
- Assessment & Monitoring: jointly administer an organizational capacity assessment tool with GOK colleagues to assess baseline health system capacity, and develop targeted capacity development plans. Administer repeat OCAs over time to assess HSS improvements.
- Technical Leadership and Advisory Services: provide technical guidance, advice and support to project counterparts to improve health system performance across domains, including:
- Governance & Leadership: support development of S/CHMT leadership and management skills, improved health sector coordination, and efficient and effective planning and budgeting cycles.
- HRH: coordinate with other USAID funded technical assistance at the national level to improve the Ministry of Health’s human resource management systems, and provide targeted TA at county and sub-county level to improve HRH management (strategy development, HRH mapping, HRH data management, etc.)
Supply Chain: Strengthening: coordinate and provide technical assistance for county, sub-county and facility level commodity security and quality assurance for FP/RH/MNCH commodities.
- Working with Supply Chain Management Consultants / Officer and with the CHMT, s/he will oversee a programme of work to prevent stock-outs, reduce commodity wastage, and reduce order lead time for priority RMNCAH commodities.
Information Systems: oversee activities to strengthen county health information systems and data use to improve quality and use of FP/RMNCAH data at the sub-county and county levels.
- He/she will work with an HMIS Officer and the county government to implement activities such as data quality assessments, M&E TWG functionality, development of a county M&E framework, county and subcounty data review forums, build capacity of HMIS mentors, support use of the RMNCAH scorecard, etc.)
- Health Care Financing: provide technical assistance to the county government to develop a strategic approach to address financial barriers to accessing health care, and engage in public private partnerships.
- Project Management: effectively plan, deliver and evaluate the implementation of activities and critically reflect and improve on project strategies to promote health system performance
- People Management: supervise various Officers, and effectively source and manage short term consultants to support priority activities
- Partnership and Team Work: work closely with other project staff to ensure that project strategies and approaches are delivered in a coherent and coordinated way, in line with project targets, and build partnerships with other key organisations to promote synergy
How to Apply
Deadline: Friday, April 7, 2017 Email application to: [email protected]