Energy 4 Impact – Capital Access Analyst
Energy 4 Impact supports businesses that provide energy access to off-grid communities in Africa.
We believe that businesses can offer the best solutions to energy poverty.
We help them access capital, technology and operational advice so they can become profitable and sustainable.
Expanding clean energy markets improves livelihoods and accelerates economic growth.
Purpose: Generally, to provide vital quantitative and qualitative information and monitoring/analysis on the organization’s capital access activities to the Capital Access Manager, the Capital Access Coordinator, Capital Access team, wider organization in general and donors/stakeholders.
More specifically within the above purpose:
- To assist team and organization to monitor, analyze and evaluate:
- loan performance (both guaranteed and non-guaranteed)
- partner financial institution performance
- borrower performance and behaviour (both guaranteed and non-guaranteed)
- where relevant, loan guarantee fund use and performance
- trends or patterns in the above performance within the context of the capital access “business model” or financial mechanism adopted by the organization with its partners.
- Prepare or deliver data, summaries, analyses, forecasts and reports to manager, team, Senior Management, other colleagues and external parties such as bank partners or donors to inform or even shape their discussions, views, strategy and decisions.
- Review relationships with existing financial partners, review partnership agreements where necessary and build relationships with existing or new financial institutions
- Market research on lending activity, practices and sources in or potentially suitable for the African renewable energy
- Design new or develop existing tools and methods/processes/procedures for or related to the various performances and trends/patterns referred to above, which tools and methods are to be used or applied by CA team, other E4I teams and partners such as financial institutions
Roles and Responsibilities
- Track the monthly performance of Energy 4 Impact supported loans and report to the CA team, other relevant teams inside the organisation as well as stakeholders and partners outside the organization.
- Identify and report trends (performance of borrowers, lenders, guarantee fund etc., activities or behaviors of lenders and other actors in the renewable energy sector in East or West Africa or beyond) which help in building case studies and analyzing the impact of the loans on the entrepreneurs’ businesses and lives.
- Track the monthly utilization of guarantee in deposit in partner financial institutions which helps in decision making in terms of more efficient use of the loan guarantee fund
- Track CA related key performance indicators for purposes of reporting to the senior management and the donors.
- Liaise with partner financial institutions to get information on loans performance, guarantee in deposit, partnership agreements and any other administrative information.
- Provide support in the preparation of presentations for meetings with management.
- Provide support in the preparation and development of concept notes, partnership agreements, board authorizations and letters for us in CA team’s collaborations with financial institutions.
- Carry out research to keep the team informed on lending trends in the East African market, financial institutions with renewable energy loan products, different lending models and entrepreneurial trends.
- Work with the M&E team to improve the M&E database and processes with regards to the monitoring and reporting of our activities or interventions with our programme beneficiaries, in particular CA related activities.
- Provide support to interns assigned to the CA team.
- Provide occasional assistance to the Advisory team on needs basis.
- Assist in assessing the credit worthiness of companies looking to apply for Energy 4 Impact guarantee backed loans.
- Deputise for Capital Access Co-coordinator or Capital Access Manager in meetings and presentations
- Prepare notes/minutes of meetings within team and between and its partners or stakeholders and using those notes to structure subsequent meetings and discussions as to actions to be taken, next steps etc.
- Track CA team members activities in the field to ensure better co-ordination of team activities
- Assist in preparation, delivery and implementation of finance related training to financial institutions, companies/borrowers, E4I teams (e.g. business and technology mentors).
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Energy Engineering or relevant field
Relevant Working experience
- Minimum 1 year relevant working experience.
- Experience in donor funded projects is an added advantage.
- Experience working with and in financial institutions/Sacco or social enterprises, particularly on enterprise financing is an added advantage.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent analytical and numeracy skills.
- Great attention to detail.
- A good knowledge of MS office packages, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work within a team as well as individually with minimum supervision.
- Understanding of the household energy sector and energy technologies and/or ability to build strong working relationships with local businesses is an added advantage.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates should forward their cover letters and CVS and indicate their minimum salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 28th August, 2016.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Energy 4 Impact is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin or disability.