The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non – governmental organization that carries out high quality, policy relevant research on population, health, education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
The Center seeks to fill the following positions:
1. Research Officer
Two Research Officers, one with excellent qualitative and another with excellent quantitative skills to work within the Population Dynamics and Reproductive Health Program.
- Lead the process of obtaining ethical approval
- Develop study tools, training manuals and field guides to use for data collection
- Coordinate the recruitment, training and supervision of field team
- Coordinate field work and be responsible for data quality
- Mobilize and educate the community in relation to the research project
- Participate in the development of research proposals
- Conduct literature review and participate in writing scientific papers
- Prepare regular field and project reports
- Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences
- Prepare policy briefs and fact sheets from the projects’ findings
- Other duties as required.
- Master of Science in Sociology, Demography, Economics, Public Health, Nursing, Social Work, Anthropology or related disciplines
- At least 3 years’ post qualification experience, preferably in a research setting
- Good computer literacy and knowledge of multiple statistical and/or qualitative software packages such as STATA, SPSS or NVivo
- Experience conducting field research and managing a research team
- Excellent oral and written communication in English
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
2. Working Group Coordinator
The successful candidate must be self-motivated and flexible with ability to mobilize, manage and coordinate diverse groups of urban education stakeholders in East Africa.
Working within the Education Research Program (ERP), the position will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to Tanzania and Uganda.
- Support in mobilization and creation of regional and country specific Education Working Groups (EWG) in three East African Countries with a focus in urban areas
- Implement Memorandum of Understanding between country specific EWG and the APHRC
- Take lead in coordinating the activities of the EWGs
- Rapporteur and develop clear policy messages/recommendations emanating from working group discussions in order to advance the working groups agenda
- Develop policy and communication tools that the working groups will use in their engagement
- Support the working groups to individually and jointly develop action plans based on the key messages
- Support in identifying and engaging key policy makers in each of the countries using various forms such as breakfast meetings
- Contribute to developing dissemination materials such as policy briefs and conducting literature review
- Contribute to developing donor project reports.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education, communications, journalism or related field.
- Must have at least three years post qualification experience in institutional mobilization, policy work and/or coordination
- Excellent mobilization and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong editing and facilitation skills
- Experience working with research, advocacy or academic institutions will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to send applications via email no later than 15th September 2015, enclosing a detailed CV, quoting current and expected salary and providing contacts details of three referees to [email protected]
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for on the subject line of the email, (i.e. “Research Officer – Qualitative” or “Research Officer – Quantitative” or “Working Group Coordinator”).
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer African Population and Health Research Center, Inc APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru P. O. Box 10787-GPO,