Aquaculture Internships At Farm Africa In Kenya
Job Title: Aquaculture Intern – Kmap
Reports To: Project Officer -Kmap
Staff Reporting To Postholder: None
Location: Based In Kisumu With Occasional Travel Locally
Duration & Hours: : Short-term appointment of between 3 – 6 months
Farm Africa is looking for Interns to be based in Kisumu to perform a wide variety of tasks within its Kenya Market-led aquaculture program (KMAP). The intern will be offered an exciting opportunity to work with experts in their field and interact with international partners and local organizations in the aquaculture sector. Farm Africa is looking for dynamic, young people to enrich its team with a passion for aquaculture and private sector orientation.
The intern will form an integral part of Farm Africa’s (KMAP) Kisumu Team. Reporting to the Project Officer, the intern will be assisting in the implementation of the KMAP interventions, ensuring that key deliverables are met in line with the project plan as agreed with the Project Coordinator.
Aquaculture Internship Responsibilities
- Assist to coordinate with the community and with the project Officer to ensure project activities are implemented within the project timeframe.
- Assist in recruitment of fish farmers.
- Assist to improve husbandry and management practices to increase pond production and productivity with measurable outcomes.
- Carry out studies (e.g.: case studies, market studies) and prepare for trade shows
- Work with the M&E Support Officers and Project Officer to deliver on monitoring and evaluation expectations in regulation with Farm Africa templates and reporting.
- Data collection, data entry and data analysis.
- Maintain good client relations with various stakeholders on the project
- Assist in preparation of annual work plans, periodic planning and project activity review.
Networking & reporting
- Assist in ensuring that there is strong partnership and liaison with KMAP partners and work effectively to ensure smooth relations with project stakeholders
- Responsible for providing weekly reports on field work done in a timely manner
Requirements For Aquaculture Internships
- Candidates with/ persuing degree/diploma in fisheries or aquaculture disciplines or those with practical hands on experience in this field are encouraged to apply
- Passionate to work in aquaculture industry and more so in the private sector, excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer literate (word, excel)
- Farm Africa’s values are very important to us as an employer and they are also very important to our employees. All prospective employees should take some time to carefully consider our values and how they fit with your own personal values before attending interview with Farm Africa.
- Farm Africa seeks to employ those who believe, as we do, that farmers can and will play a key role in achieving long-term rural prosperity in Africa and who seek to deliver on those beliefs by:
being experts in our field, delivering insightful/impactful evidence-based solutions
pushing boundaries, being creative with new and old solutions
acting for the long-term, building relationships and delivering long-lasting change for farmers
working flexibly, taking advantage of the most effective solutions, whether from the communities, private sector or government
- Sharing knowledge with others, reaching more farmers than we do alone, ensuring effective technologies are widely accessed.
How to Apply
- If you meet the above requirements, please send your CV and one page cover letter indicating specific areas in aquaculture you are interested in and how you meet the specification to [email protected] by 5.00pm on Friday 2nd June 2016.