Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
Job Title: Field Officer
Deadline to Apply: 8th September 2015
Start Date: 28th September 2015
Eligibility: Open to local Kenyan hires only, preferably from Migori County
Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a research organization that seeks to improve the understanding of how people living in poverty make decisions and to leverage that knowledge to produce better social outcomes.
It enables researchers to conduct rigorous laboratory-based studies in behavioral economics in a developing country and applying the outcomes of research to real-world problems.
About the project: This is a study that seeks to identify the effect of combination of psychological interventions alongside financial interventions to alleviate poverty.
The psychological intervention is set to boost poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and alter their understanding of their opportunities, encouraging poor people to set and pursue their own goals without directing their choices.
This study will examine if such interventions can enhance the already-known benefits of cash transfers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Dhuluo (must), English and Kiswahili
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (mandatory)
- Excellent communication, individual and group-based exercise facilitation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to recognize when questions are difficult or unclear to subjects
- Excellent note taking ability during interviews
- Experience in conducting qualitative research is a plus
- Comfortable with conducting interviews with Luo respondents and facilitating empowerment exercises
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma in social sciences, economic, development studies and/or business administration
- Past experience in qualitative data collection and/or counselling- show proof of this in application
- Experience using computer assisted interviewing or ODK is a plus
- Have the following qualities: are diligent and organized, have the ability to motivate and counsel others, have a positive attitude, are active and respectful listeners, have strong interpersonal skills, and have passion for community-based social work
General Field Officer Duties
- Administer surveys appropriately
- Facilitating individual and group-based exercises
- Providing daily reports to supervisor
- Coordinating with team members on field activities
- Duration: Successful candidates shall be hired for a duration of 3 months.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected] and ensure that the subject line reads: “Field Officer: REF NO: BU-2015-08-21”.
Only online applications shall be considered.