Assistant Research Officer Job at KEMRI
(Neonatal Nursing Care Evaluation)
Reference Number: ARO-NNCE-6-2016
Assistant Research Job Purpose
- The post holder will support study planning, implementation and coordination of work to understand and improve neonatal care.
- The specific area of research is to quantitatively characterise the tasks done (left undone) in the provision of newborn care, using direct observation methods on care provision within newborn units as well as survey approaches to explore nurses perceptions of missed care.
- The post-holder will contribute to development and supervision of data capture, data quality and data analysis as part of the overall Health Systems that Deliver for Newborns (HSD-N) study.
- The work will involve liaising between and with researchers and clinical nursing and administrative teams in study hospitals. It will also involve use of the data management programme REDCap and the statistical software package R and its related interface function R studio.
- The position requires a competency in project management, experience in research, and knowledge of clinical healthcare.
Assistant Research Job Key Responsibilities
- Assist researchers to develop and test data collection tools, standard operating procedures, and other study documentation in preparation for data collection for the missed care study;
- Pilot test these tools in clinical settings
- Collect quantitative data on neonatal nursing in hospitals in Nairobi City County – this work will involve direct observations of care provision to sick newborns and will require spending time in health facilities including occasionally at nights and weekends as required
- Supervise junior staff/interns during study data collection
- Learn the basic functions of REDCap to support good database design for this project
- Learn basic approaches, using R, to improve data quality and perform simple data analysis;
- Provide feedback to facilities as required and adopt a liaison role with facilities, professional groups and county health teams
- Ensure compliance with programme ICT policies that span data storage, description, security etc across the research team;
Qualifications and Experience for Assistant Research Job
- Degree in nursing plus relevant experience and demonstrated skills relevant to neonatal care
- One year relevant work experience
- Understanding of medical terminology and practice
- Familiarity with quantitative data and research
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to meet deadlines
Desirable Requirements for Assistant Research Job
- Familiarity with REDCap software and/or R
- Training in / exposure to health care provided to sick newborns
- Experience in project management
- Experience supervising junior staff
- Strong organisation skills with the ability to prioritise workloads and work within tight deadlines
- Familiarity with data entry forms and basic concepts of data analysis
- Interest in understanding of nursing practice and newborn care
- Willingness to travel throughout Nairobi and occasionally outside Nairobi
- Professional attitude towards engaging with health facilities and nurses
- Comfortable with interpreting standard operating procedures and apply them to data collection
- Good communication skills with willingness to provide regular updates to colleagues and prompt reply to emails
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment and to multi-task
- Team worker, able to work in a multi-cultural environment and with multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written)Good computer skills
How to Apply
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”. All applicants are required to state their current/last salary. Click here to apply Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews. The application closing date is 13 July, 2016.