The KEMRI / University of Washington Study
Job Announcement: The KEMRI/UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children living in Kenya.
Specifically our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a motivated, committed, and honest staff member to join our team.
Job Title: Assistant Study Coordinator
Job Group MR/8
Job Description: The Assistant Study Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of all community and mobile aspects of the clinical trial titled “Antibiotics for Children with Severe Diarrhea (ABCD) Trial”.
She/he will oversee a team responsible for directly observed therapy and home tracing, lead community sensitization and mobilization activities, and set up referral systems from health facilities in the catchment areas.
She/he may also participate in clinical duties as needed.
The Assistant Study Coordinator will also work with study investigators to develop standard operating procedures, design and edit appropriate logs to document study-related activities, conduct internal monitoring to ensure all protocols are being followed, actively trouble-shoot issues identified, conduct community outreach activities, and lead regular meetings.
She/he will be based in Western Kenya, initially in Rongo with potential relocation to other areas in Migori and Homa Bay Counties where patient recruitment will be happening.
The Assistant Study Coordinator will report directly to the Study Coordinator and will be a part of a large clinical-research team located in Kenya and the United States.
- Diploma in any of the following fields: Clinical Medicine, Nursing or Public Health;
- At least three (3) years working experience in clinical research or in a busy clinic setting;
- Bachelors degree in any of the above fields will be an added advantage;
- Registration certificate and Valid practicing License from the relevant professional body;
- Experience in Clinical trials will be an added advantage;
- Experience in coordination of multiple sites and teams;
- Experience in coordinating externally monitored studies;
- Be able to design, amend and implement research protocols;
- Demonstrated interest in community engagement and ability to mobilize communities;
- Ability to manage and supervise a team of study personnel;
- Ability to communicate effectively and frequently to domestic and international supervisors in person, over the phone, on Skype, and over email
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype, email)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience driving a motor bike with a valid license
- Able to multi-task
- Team player
- Highly detail oriented
- Willing and ready to travel within the Nyanza Province
- Managing all mobile team members at various study sites, training new staff members including giving briefings on all operational policies and procedures; ensuring each person understands his/her role and responsibilities
- Assist Study Coordinator in setting-up enrollment sites at various health facilities in Homa Bay and Migori Counties
- Act as a liaison between members of hospitals, Ministry of Health, and communities including conducting regular study sensitization sessions and discussion forums
- Maintain strong relationship with study clinical sites and community groups involved
- Develop and oversee system for directly observed therapy (DOT)
- Develop system for patient tracing and patient referral
- Develop standard operating procedures and best practices for the study
- Develop quality control and assurance checks for study procedures and data
- Attend and organize training of study procedures
- Observe study procedures to ensure adherence to protocol
- Assist with responding to database queries
- Make weekly reports on the administration of mobile aspects of study
- Address weekly data queries
- Fill-in for site staff members when necessary
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Study Coordinator and Investigators
- Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW Organization
Terms of Employment: One year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months. The successful candidate shall be based in Nyanza.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales. Health Insurance Cover is provided for the staff members only.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE to complete the online application form and send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to e-mail address: [email protected] to reach us by 23rd February, 2017 at 5.00 p.m.
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalised areas are encouraged to apply. KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview meeting and processing of offer letter.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.