Athi Water Services Board (AWSB) is a State Corporation under the Ministry of Water and Irrigation.
It is mandated to plan and develop / expand infrastructure for bulk water supply and waste water in Nairobi and Kiambu Counties, and Gatanga District in Murang’a County.
The Board intends to fill the following vacant position:-
Finance Manager [Financial & Management Accounting]
Job Ref. AWSB/FM/3/2015
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Head Finance &Strategy, the position holder will be responsible for the following duties:
• Coordinate timely and accurate preparation of budgets, ensure budgetary controls, constantly monitor expenditure and report on variances;
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports in an accurate and timely manner and prepare all the documents that are required to support the periodical auditing exercise;
• Prepare cash flows statements and bank reconciliations;
• Ensure that all accounting transactions comply with set financial systems and controls and initiate remedial action where this is not the case;
• Prepare and continually review aged (debtor/creditor) analysis report and advise management accordingly;
• Assist in project proposal financial assessment for feasibility;
• Compile tax reports/statutory returns, ensuring that these are submitted in a timely manner to the relevant authorities and consult with tax advisors as and when necessary;
• Liaise with the external auditors during interim and annual audit and follow-up.
• Develop and maintain internal control and effective accounting system and policies for AWSB;
• Establish and maintain systems for cost-sensitivity analysis and early-warning of cost-overruns;
• Work consultatively with the respective departments on cost reduction initiatives;
• Liaise with project managers in preparing and implementing annual project plans and budgets;
• Ensure compliance with donors’ rules and regulations;
• Preparing monthly/quarterly financial reports on the status of project activities.
• Manage relationships with key stakeholders including banks, suppliers, and key customers;
• Confirm financial status by monitoring revenue and expenses; coordinating the collection, consolidation, and evaluation of financial data;
• Maintain accounting controls by establishing a chart of accounts; defining accounting policies;
• Enforce current accounting regulations and recommend new procedures for proposed legislation.
Requirements for Appointment:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Accounts or Finance;
• Fully qualified accountant – CPA (K)/ACCA , etc.;
• A member of ICPAK or any other related/relevant professional body;
• Proficiency in computer accounting packages;
• Must have extensive experience on tax matters;
• Ability to work accurately and effectively with multiple priorities and deadlines in a fast paced environment;
• A minimum of eight (8) years’ relevant working experience, four (4) of them spent at managerial level with relevant responsibility in an organization serving a large and demanding public;
• In-depth understanding of the project management cycle;
• Good communication and presentation skills;
• Experience in financial reporting and MIS as per IFRS and IPSAS;
• Experience in dealing with Statutory and Internal Auditors;
• Self -driven and ability to work under strict deadlines;
• A Master’s degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage.
Duration: The successful candidate will be engaged for a period of three (3) years on contract terms with a possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons should submit their applications quoting the title and reference number of the post being applied for and enclose detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials, copy of National ID, current position, remuneration, email address and telephone contact plus names and contacts of three (3) referees so as to reach the undersigned on or before 21st October, 2015 Chief Executive Officer, Athi Water Services Board, Africa-Re Centre, Hospital Road, P.O. Box 45283 – 00100, Nairobi Email: [email protected] Athi Water is an equal opportunity employer and all Kenyans in their diversity are encouraged to apply.