Research Officer Job Duties in Kenya
The Australian High Commission in Nairobi provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. We are seeking a professional with experience in providing high quality advice on political and economic issues in Kenya and East Africa to fill the position of Political and Economic Research Officer.
The position will:
- Monitor, analyse and report on political and economic issues in Kenya and other countries of accreditation (East Africa and Somalia), including issues related to bilateral relations with Australia.
- Provide research and logistical support to assist the Australian High Commission promote Australia’s political and economic diplomacy interests in East Africa.
- Assist in the arrangement of official visits to Australia, and attendance by other officials at workshops and conferences.
- Assist with arranging and coordinating itineraries and programs for the Head of Mission, visiting Australian officials and Australian High Commission staff.
- Establish and maintain appropriate contacts with Kenyan government and business interests, and manage the biographies database.
- Assist in public diplomacy and other activities where required.
- Support Australia’s mission to the United Nations Environment Programme
- The successful applicant will need to work well as part of a team and appreciate the high standards of integrity required by the Australian High Commission.
- Selection Criteria for Research Officer Kenyan Jobs
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in political and/or economic studies
- Demonstrated experience in providing high quality advice on political and economic issues in the region.
- An in-depth understanding of African politics, government systems and processes
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High level skills with Microsoft Office
- The ability to prioritise workloads to meet deadlines, take initiative and respond to challenges.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an interest in working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Kiswahili language skills desirable.
The position will be filled at the LE5 level at a salary rate of KES192,515 per month. This is a one year contract position with an option to extend. A valid
Kenyan work permit is required. Position will be available in October 2015.
Applications will be received until 1200hrs Friday 9th October 2015.
How to Apply
If you believe you fulfil the requirements of the position, you are invited to submit a typed application of no more than three pages. The application must address the selection criteria above, clearly explaining why you are suitable for the position. Please include the telephone contact details of 2 referees. Applications must be hand delivered or courier-delivered to the Australian High Commission in a sealed envelope addressed to the Senior Administration Officer. Please write the position applied for in the top left hand corner. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Click here for more The Australian High Commission is an equal opportunity employer