Vacancy: Finance Intern
Introduction: The African Virtual University (AVU) is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by fourteen (14) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger and South Sudan.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 has two main thrusts:
(a) Educational and support services provided on a fee basis; and
(b) Not-for-profit development services.
The, Not-for-profit development services, aims at building the capacity of AVU Partner Institutions (PIs) with an objective of increasing access to quality education through the following activities: updating and developing content; Open Educational Resources (OER) Development; AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); set up/upgrade ODeL centers; developing professional networks through Communities of Practices; Research and Development; and Quality Evaluation and Benchmarking.Scope of Work
The Intern will be responsible for:
- Assist in posting transactions to Apogee accounting software.
- Assist in reconciliations of the cash books to the bank statements and GL
- Assist in processing of payments;
- Assist in Filing all Finance and Administration documents
- From time to time provide support to AVU projects including bulk photocopying, scanning and binding of documents and any other logistical support;
- The intern shall perform any other duties that may from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce, finance or accounting option
- Qualified CPA part II or equivalent in ACCA;
- Exposure to Apogee accounting software will be an added advantage;
- Keen and pays attention to detail;
- Ability to work well within a team
- Possess Excel spread sheet and word-processing programs at a highly proficient level;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to determine priorities and meet multiple deadlines;
- Detail-oriented with good multi-tasking abilities and communication skills, both oral and written;
- Must be numerate;
- The candidate must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of a Finance Intern;
- Flexibility and a can-do approach to tasks and the ability to adapt to a changing and challenging environment;
Modalities of Work: The intern is expected to work from Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm
Duration: The internship is for an initial period of 3 months with possibility of extension
Reporting: The intern will report to the Manager, Finance and Administration.
How to Apply
The African Virtual University (AVU) is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial period of 3 months.
Application must include an application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with a telephone number and email address; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must have Finance Intern as the email subject
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for this application is 19th October 2015 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3)
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.