The Project Finance and Administrative Officer, AAI is an integral member of the African Apes Initiative (AAI projects) team, providing financial and administration support particularly in program logistics and efficient project administration. The incumbent reports to and works closely with the Technical Director West and Central Africa and is the key linking point within the program team and HQ Finance team to understand, interpret and implement financial policies and budget plans within the AAI projects. The majority of AAI-field programs are in West and Central Africa. As a result, although this position will be based in Nairobi, the successful candidate MUST have experience working in West and or Central Africa and be fluent in written French and English. This position will initially be based in Nairobi with occasional travel. AWF reserves the right to change location depending on program needs.
- Work with the program team and other staff to support preparation of AAI work plans and related budgets searching for best linkages between conservation activity performance and financial performance. Assist AWF’s Budget & Grants Team to ensure that work plans accurately time-phase budgets on an accrual basis.
- Serve as resource to the AAI offices / landscapes ensuring that staff understand and adhere to AWF and donor financial policies and procedures. Ensure that internal controls are respected so as to avoid any violations of AWF procedures and policies.
- Serve as the finance and administration focal point for all AWF AAI startups and close outs ensuring strict adherence to the set out guidelines, processes and tracking of the checklists. Ensure that all the financial aspects are per AWF and donor policies.
- Throughout the year, working with central finance team serve as financial partner to the Project Manager(s) and other relevant teams to provide monthly budget status updates that interpret monthly reports received from the Budget & Grants team. Utilize financial acumen and budget knowledge to anticipate potential problems and advise the supervisor on strategies to avoid them. Where necessary, work with HQ Budget team to adjust program work plans and/or time-phasing of budgets. Assist the Budget & Grants Team to ensure accurate and timely financial reports to the donor.
- Work with Procurement team in annual prequalification process for regular vendors. Ensure that AAI specific procurements are initiated by staff timely via the accounting web portal. Where possible/needed, assist with the actual procurement. Transact purchases associated with local travel and small purchases. At the direction of the Procurement team, assist in higher value purchases with local vendors. Work with the Procurement Team to ensure that key vendors in the specified countries contact information is up to date in Serenic.
- Work with central finance team to ensure compliance with the statutory remittances and efficient follow up on any tax matters e.g. VAT, withholding tax etc related to AAI project activities.
- Work with the Contracts Officer and the Procurement team to ensure that Consultancies or Sub grants are done in compliance with the donor and AWF standards.
- Ensure that staff advances are provided timely advances and retirements are done by staff upon return. Review expense reports critically to ensure that costs are legitimate and compliant with AWF and donor travel rules. Following review, mark staff expense reports as ‘approved’ in Serenic. Ensure all administrative responsibilities of staff (timesheets, credit card reconciliations, alternate approvers created, etc.) are completed in advance of travel so as not to disrupt organizational processes such as the monthly accounting close.
- Conduct daily, real-time entry of AAI Field offices accounting data in Serenic accounting system, ensuring monthly closing deadlines are adhered to. Participate with GL team with AAI projects and related grant specific audits.
- Work with the treasury team to manage the project cash positions for AAI projects . Ensure that the projects do not run out of cash by maintaining up-to-date accounts payable balances and requesting cash whenever needed and well in advance of required payment dates. Ensure that treasury team is aware of upcoming large payments. Manage and reconcile all project or office petty cash accounts.
- Interact across functions to ensure the projects are facilitated for efficient implementation.
- Other relevant duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance or equivalent
- Accounting certification preferred e.g. CPA or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years work experience in similar roles
- NGO experience
- MUST have experience working in West and or Central Africa
- Experience in busy office environment
- Business background with proved record of performance focused financial management is a plus
- Proficiency in the use of computers
- Be familiar with accounting packages and government regulations such as taxation requirements and statutory related matters
- Book keeping experience is an advantage
- Cultural sensitivity, team player
- Willingness to travel when required
- Commitment to AWF and its mission
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and French is a requirement
- Willingness to relocate
- A relocation package will be provided
- The position is subject to AWF getting the requisite work permit for the candidate
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here