As the African Wildlife Foundation expands its visibility and profile globally around its scientific-based approach to conservation projects throughout the continent, the need for real-time field information and engagement is required. Working directly with AWF’s Senior Director, Strategic Communications, the Nairobi-based Senior Field Communications Officer will serve as the conduit between project-activities in country and AWF’s offices.
Functional Strength: Creating visibility for AWF’s work on the continent through up-to-date communications and support to field staff and internal staff globally.
The Senior Field Communications Officer will provide communications support to field staff across Africa to increase the visibility, knowledge and understanding of AWF’s work. S/he will monitor field activities, actively engaging with field staff and creating opportunities to promote our work through digital, media and print with internal and external audiences.
The Senior Field Communications Officer will also help develop an annual communication strategy plan for AWF field projects in collaboration with field teams and will serve as the point-person for internal communications globally.
The Senior Field Communications Officer will
- Creating a field communications and internal communications strategy, leading AWF’s field and internal communications efforts to keep staff informed of all project initiatives, progress and milestones
- Working with field staff, creating an annual editorial calendar, determining new and existing channels for promotion
- Raising the profile of AWF and its field activities by generating real-time content on our projects and regular updates from the field
- Providing and sourcing daily and weekly updates from all AWF projects and partner-related projects in the field
- Curating dynamic content from the field for use with media, digital media (web and social), and publishing, including video, audio, infographics, social
- Coordinating media trips to field projects with the Senior Media Relations Manager
- Engaging with partners in the field to identify and implement cross-promotional opportunities on key projects for AWF
- Training and coaching field staff on generating content, including video and social and on identifying public relations opportunities
- Follow developments in the field relevant to AWF and produce regular updates for use internally and externally, with a focus on project milestones and outcomes
- Developing and maintaining close and regular contact with field staff working across the continent
- Establishing and maintaining collaboration with communications staff from other relevant organizations and bodies, including partners and governments
- In collaboration with the AWF country directors, developing appropriate communications initiatives and tools (infographics, videos, web sites, photography, print collateral) to increase visibility and acceptance of AWF and its activities in country
- Serving as the internal communications point-person for staff, developing innovative approaches to creating a collaborative, mission-focused, global culture at AWF
- If requested, producing communications materials for AWF and external media
- If needed, be ready to travel to other parts of the continent, and to support AWF staff when needs arise
- Quarterly and yearly analytics based on reach, spread and impressions for digital content and cross-promotional partner campaigns in Africa.
The Senior Field Communications Officer must have experience working with external audiences, particularly with local communities and partners.
- You are passionate about doing great work and want to surround yourself with people who share that passion
- Company culture is as important to you as your work or your salary
- You work hard, but know how to balance that with your personal life
- You have the ability to engage with others, manage stakeholders and build a positive environment for those you work with
- You are patiently persistent and will work through problems until they are solved
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or a closely related field
- At least 8 years’ of relevant experience in field communications for a non-profit organization.
- Comfortable interacting with field staff and senior executives, proven ability to successfully implement digital strategies and internal communications programs
- Familiarity with Africa conservation, wildlife and wild lands, and development concerns
- Poise, presence, polish, and confidence in representing AWF and conservation to local communities, partners, and the media
- Exemplary skills in video production, video editing, social media, graphic design, web design, coding, photography, writing, editing and proofreading
- Deep understanding of field-based and community-based work in Africa
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the representation of AWF to external audiences
- Knowledge of French and other relevant languages a distinct advantage
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here