(To be completed only if role is a Controlled Function under FSA rules)
Function and Business Area Purpose
About Barclays Africa
Barclays Africa encompasses Barclays Global Retail Banking, Corporate Banking, and Barclaycard operations in 10 countries organised in four geographic areas: North Africa (Egypt), East and West Africa (Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya), Southern Africa (Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe), and Indian Ocean (Mauritius and Seychelles).
Barclays Africa serves its 2.8m customers through a network of 573 branches and service centres providing a variety of traditional financial products including retail mortgages, current and deposit accounts, commercial lending, unsecured lending, credit cards, treasury and investments.
- Facilitate the generation of revenue and assist the business strategic priorities in close working relationship with Business Banking, and Corporate & Investment Banking stakeholders.
- Support the Credit leadership in management of impairment and other losses to ensure these are within agreed budgets / forecasts.
- Improving the control environment for risk activities.
- A credit professional acting as credit expert to the relationship team and the conduit to the Credit Risk function for sanctioning purposes.
- Improve and deepen understanding of our clients needs through joint client visits with the assigned portfolio Relationship Managers. .
- Responsible for developing practical and appropriate credit solutions (i.e. lending structures) through understanding customers’ needs.
- Delivering high quality and consistent, credit applications and making sound recommendations.
- Monitor and control accounts within designated portfolios to ensure early detection of signs of credit deterioration and taking appropriate actions.
- Maintain integrity of Commercial Credit Risk System (CCRS) data ensuring customer is accurately updated.
- Responsible for championing Credit policy issues to the designated portfolio and relationship teams through attendance of industry and portfolio meetings.
- Responsible for efficient use of Bank capital by challenging pricing of facilities within their portfolio and ensuring borrowings to customers meet the minimum required return for the bank.
- Ensuring Risk Key performance measures are captured correctly and in a timely manner to aid in performance management and decision making.
Main accountabilities and approximate time split
Accountability: Understanding Credit/ Solutions Development
Time split%: 35%
- Assessment of credit proposals through analysis of Business and Credit risks associated with the provision of the bank’s products and services to the customer.
- Facilitate the generation of revenue and support business growth through development of high quality credit solutions aimed obtaining fast credit approval from Sanctioning teams.
- Ability to undertake sector and industry analysis to guide the bank in strategy formulation and areas of focus for lending and application of the same within designated portfolio.
Accountability: The Credit Process
Time split%: 50%
- Preparation Credit proposals using the CCRS with relevant supporting documentation and recommendations to Credit managers for Sanction.
- Liaise directly with the Barclays Africa Credit Team (BACT) sanctioning office for all credits that are outside local Risk Team discretion.
- Attend customer meetings with the Relationship Manager where credit related issues are to be discussed/ resolved.
- Support the timely preparation of facility letters through preparation of accurate Facility Letter Aide Memoirs (FLAM) and ensuring all proposed conditions of sanction, covenants and internal risk triggers are correctly and accurately captured.
- Ensure efficient management of capital by ensuring. Where facility letters are not accepted within set timelines, facilities are cancelled from CCRS.